Office 365 Newswire: Windows Live SkyDrive and Office 365 – 4.27.2012
It's Friday and most likely you are headed for a restful weekend. Alas, I am not!
I have both sets of family arriving this afternoon fresh from the West Texas desert. The two big events are my youngest daughter's ballet recital and my dad's 70th birthday. In addition we have:
- 3rd grade Baseball game tonight…under the lights!
- Two soccer games tomorrow
- Family dinner tomorrow
- Ballet dress rehearsal Sunday followed by…
- Ballet recital, followed immediately by…
- A big 70th birthday bash at the Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Texas
Yes, that is correct, my Dad wants to spend his 70th birthday watching baseball with his family. Not a bad way to spend your time if you ask me.
Today's Office 365 Newswire is okay. The news this week is dominated by Google Drive and Skydrive. Office 365 was a bit quiet but there are still good items to report.
Office 365 news & editorials!
- Zoho says Google is not serious about Online Apps – but Microsoft Office 365 is :: This item is short and to the point. Zoho’s CEO is on-point!
- Ambulance Service beings migrating its 4,000 users to Microsoft’s Office 365. :: Another week and here is news of another large customer for Office 365. They are not as large as the university system in India BUT… 4,000 users is nothing to sneeze at.
- Windows Live SkyDrive and Office 365 :: SkyDrive is cool and full of potential. Now MSFT appears to be serious about making it profitable. This short article explains who the target audiences are for Sky Drive and Office 365. Keep in mind, this is one person’s opinion… you are not obligated to agree with them.
- Storage is now cheap(er) with SharePoint Online :: With all the new customers, the savings created by the economies of scale are passed on to the customer. Lower prices also help capture market share too. Nothing wrong with that.
- Why I love Office 365 and why your business will too :: I found this item refreshing. Just a normal, non-journalist, writing about something that excites them. This is worth checking out to learn how he is using Office 365.
- Upgrade from 7GB to 25GB of free Microsoft SkyDrive storage while you can :: If you have had a SkyDrive account before this week’s news about paid SkyDrive accounts, you have the option to upgrade your account for free. Take advantage while you can. Doing so only requires a couple of minutes.
Office 365 tips, tricks & tools
- How to build my company portal in SharePoint Online :: By default, SharePoint Online does not list all sites in your SharePoint instance. This tip shows how to configure your SharePoint Online team site so that it serves as a “company portal” or gateway to all your sites. It isn’t what you’d think. I know I was surprised by how he did it.
- Make, receive and manage calls with Lync 2010 :: Lync is pretty darn good. It’s so good, my memories of Live Meeting have mostly faded. It took me a few minutes to recall its name just now… that’s how faded its memory is. Download this document and learn about phone calls with Lync. I can’t wait for Skype to be integrated with Lync. I assume that will happen.
- How to add an alias to an Office 365 account and how to set up Outlook to send email messages as this alias :: This is a good “nuts-and-bolts” tip. If you don't know how to do it, you need this tip. If you've done this before and are under the age of 35 you don't need this tip. If you've done this before and are over the age of 35 but under 40, you might need this tip. If you've done this before and are over the age of 40 you need this tip.
- All-in-one framework sample browser is majorly refreshing :: This is a big refresh of the 3500+ code samples. This release comes with a fancy-schmancy new code browser too. It uses the Metro design. It's all Metro these days you know.
- Use Windows Intune to deploy Office 365 to your customers :: I am intrigued by Intune. I've needed this technology for about 8 years now.
Office 365 developer items
- Creating a mobile adaptor in SharePoint 2010 :: How to make a web parts adapt to mobile devices…
- Online .NET code compiler :: Billed as a way to learn, share and test code, reproduce bugs, explore fixes and more…