for Microsoft® Office and .net
Add-in Express Home > Add-in Express for Office and .NET > Online Guide
Why Add-in Express?
Microsoft gave us the term "Office Extensions". This term covers all the customization technologies provided for Microsoft Office applications.
The technologies are:
Add-in Express allows you to overcome the basic problem when customizing Microsoft Office applications in .NET, namely
integrating your solutions into the Office applications. Based on the true RAD paradigm, Add-in Express saves the time
that otherwise you would spend on research, prototyping, and debugging numerous issues of any of the above-said
technologies in all versions and updates of all Office applications. The issues include safe loading / unloading,
host application startup / shutdown, as well as user-interaction-related and deployment-related issues.
Support all Office applications and versions with a single code base!
Add-in Express provides you with the powerful all-in-one framework to create version-neutral, secure, insolated, managed,
easy deployable and updatable extensions for all Office applications and versions, all with a single code base!
- Managed - you develop them in every programming language available for Visual Studio .NET: VB.NET C#, C++.
- Isolated - Add-in Express allows loading Office extensions into separate application domains.
So, they do not have a chance to break down other add-ins and the host application itself.
- Version-neutral - the Add-in Express programming model and its core are version-neutral.
It gives you a chance to develop one Office extension for all available Office versions, from 2000 to the newest 2010.
More about building version-independent Office plug-ins.
- Easy deployable and updatable Office extensions - Add-in Express automatically supplies you with a setup
project making your solution ready-to-deploy. The start-up and deployment model used by Add-in Express allows updating
your solutions at run-time. See
Office addin deployment.
What's new in version 8?
- Support for Office 2016
- Support for Visual Studio 2015 and 2017
- Support for multi-language WiX setup projects
- Support for OneNote 2010 and higher
- Automatic updates in ClickTwice deployment
- Visual Studio 2017
- Visual Studio 2015
- Visual Studio 2013
- Visual Studio 2012
- Visual Studio 2010
- Visual Basic (VB.NET)
- Microsoft Office Suites 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, XP and 2000
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft MapPoint
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft FrontPage
- Microsoft Publisher
- Microsoft InfoPath