Office Newswire: Is Microsoft killing Windows for the sake of Office? – 2.29.2012
February 29th is an odd day. Some people treat it like a free day, an extra day that doesn’t really count. They take off work and do something they don’t normally have time to do. Like try a new hobby or take a nap.
Me? I’m travelling this week to sunny Seattle, Washington, USA. My experience here is unusual in that Seattle is typically sunny when I am here. Today, however, I’m finding Seattle to be just as everyone says it is… cold, grey, and raining. I don’t mind. I think this place is beautiful. Mt. Rainier is breathtaking even if you can’t see its summit. There is water, hills, mountains, snow… and everything is so clean!
I have several meetings to attend this morning so the newswire is a bit abbreviated. I hope you don’t mind.
Office news & editorials
- Microsoft’s next Steve: Windows boss faces biggest test :: This item included here because Mr. Sinofsky is a big reason for the success of Microsoft Office. He’s now running Windows, which, as rumor has it… has a few big changes in the next release. Who is this creative genius and will he be the next leader of MSFT? What is SINOFSKY-IZATION? Well you got it, read it to find out.
- Is Microsoft killing Windows for the sake of Office? :: All this talk about Office on the iPad, Office 365, & Office 15 is big enough. Combine it with the fact that the Office division now earns more revenue than the Windows division and you have tech journalists wondering aloud… which will MSFT choose?
Office developer items
- Improve SharePoint 2010 page loading time :: Are you familiar with "warming-up" SharePoint pages? Do you have a gargantuan SharePoint form with more pages than you care to count? Or, are you looking for some different strategies to improve loading times? This item is for you. Who knew configuration could make such a difference? Huh!
- SharePoint Developer Toolkit :: This a solid but dated list. I’d add the Add-in Express Ribbon Designer to it.
- Add-in Express vs. VSTO – Outlook regions :: Our own Pieter is writing a series comparing features between standard VSTO and Add-In-Express. This is the latest in the series. I recommend reading the others as well (Part 1 , Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4)
Cutting room floor
- The future of computing (according to MSFT’s Craig Mundie) :: What is he holding in his hand? I think it’s a crab.
- Microsoft to be on-stage at iPad 3 event?
- Is the Windows operating system dying?