Office Newswire: Microsoft Office 2013 will not be free
It’s eerie, the quiet. Office 2013 went RTM something like three years ago. It feels that way to me at least. Not much new is going on (publicly at least) except for the blog posts from the various Office teams. It’s all quiet here on the Western front.
I believe Microsoft is almost ready. They (MSFT) have leaked some pricing details so we can plan our spending accordingly (see today’s first news item). What’s the hold-up?! It’s time to release it already!
AbleBits is ready for Office 2013… whenever Microsoft chooses to release it.
Office news & editorials!
- Office 2013 pricing details leaked to the press! :: To absolutely no one’s surprise, Mary Jo Foley has some “leaked” pricing details for Office 2013. I think paying a monthly fee is going to become more popular.
- Please, Microsoft. Let this happen :: I think this will happen. I don’t think it should surprise anyone either. I don’t think it will happen but the manufacturer in this article wants to do it however.
- Office 365 or Google Apps?! :: An interesting discussion on Neowin’s forums. I think this is a slam dunk but maybe one day Google Apps will be a stronger competitor in terms of features, integrated stack, and extensibility.
- Microsoft Surface Pro hands-on: This is what it should have been all along :: Best quote? “To be blunt, Surface Pro makes RT look like a mistake.” Find out why.
Office tips, tricks & tools
- Checking for gender-specific grammar :: Need help writing gender neutrally? This tip will help.
- Choose your own PivotTable :: If you find PivotTables intimidating or challenging, try the new Recommended PivotTables features found in Excel 2013.
- How to know if your Office 365 Account is now running SharePoint 2013 :: Just check the HTTP Headers. This tip might require help from a developer or IT infrastructure type of dude (or dudette… I’m trying to gender neutral here… or at least gender equal).
Office developer items of note
- Working with tracked changes and comments programmatically in Word 2013 :: Comments are new and improved in Word 2013. Along with the improvements arrive changes to the comments-related objects.
- Quickly start developing apps with the new “0-60” developer experience :: This blog post expands items we have previously included here. It’s solid, step-by-step explanation of how to get up off the couch and start running around with the cool kids developing apps for Office 365.
- Get started building SharePoint Apps in minutes with LightSwitch :: LightSwitch looks to have some nifty features for building SharePoint Apps. I want to take a deeper look at this tool when I have a couple of moments. I don’t think Office and SharePoint developers should ignore this tool.
- Microsoft SharePoint 2013 App Development :: I’m alerting to the existence of a new book releasing soon. A couple of well known SharePoint speaker/trainers wrote it. I bet it will be worth its price when released.
Cutting room floor
- Why programmers work at night :: this is the best explanation yet. I know it’s true for me.
- The trouble with tinkering time :: an idea worth trying.
- How to disable the lock screen on Windows 8 without using Group Policy