Ribbon is missing from outlook new mail dialog

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Ribbon is missing from outlook new mail dialog

os dev team

Hi Andrei,

We add a button to the new mail message ribbon in outlook and it makes the ribbon disappear inconsistently.

It happens mostly on Vista with outlook 2007. But it also happened in outlook 2010 on Windows 7.

We don't get any error that I can add here (our addin also registered for the OnError event in the addin class).

This is the new message dialog with our button:
User added an image

This is the missing ribbon:
User added an image

Thanks,
Lev
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 03:23:16 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Lev,

First of all, you need to turn on the Ribbon XML validation mechanism through the UI of the host application of your add-in; you need to look for a checkbox named "Show add-in user interface errors". Do you see any error message boxes?

What version and build number of Add-in Express do you use? May I see the adxloader.log file (typically you can find it in the <My Documents>\Add-in Express folder)?
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:21:04 Top
os dev team

we're using version 6.3.3052.2005.
This error happens on a user's machine and he didn't get any error messages.
Can you please let me know where is this checkbox? I'll ask the user to turn this on and see if he gets any errors.

In the meantime, do you have any idea why this can happen? Have you ever encountered this behavior?
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:27:58 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Lev,

Please read more about the add-in user interface errors option in the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608619.aspx article in MSDN.

Yes, I have seen such behavior before. Please see the A Ribbon tab with custom controls was missing when opening several inspectors at a time entry in the http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/history.php. Anyway, may I see the adxloader.log file (typically you can find it in the <My Documents>\Add-in Express folder)?
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:39:30 Top
os dev team

I'm able to reproduce the issue on my machine some times.
i checked that option but no error shown.

here is the log file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7690336/adxloader.log
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 10:44:18 Top
os dev team

can you please let me know how this issue was fixed before?
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 11:07:43 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Lev,

Thank you for providing me with the adxloader.log file. It looks good, I didn't find anything strange on my road.

A public build of Add-in Express with a fix was published on July 20/2010. Please check out the resulted XML markup. You can do it using the XML property of the ADXRibbonBeforeLoadEventArgs class in the OnRibbonBeforeLoad event handler:

private void AddinModule_OnRibbonBeforeLoad(object sender, AddinExpress.MSO.ADXRibbonBeforeLoadEventArgs e)
{
System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(e.Xml);
}

Does it contain any GetVisible callback? If so, please try to replace them with visible=true statement.
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 11:23:43 Top