toolbar not showing up on IE

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

toolbar not showing up on IE

Caesar Kim

I used to successfully deploy the toolbar into the IE. The toolbar showed up fine on IE 6 and 7. I was using windows 2003 standard edition. Recently, I changed to windows vista ultimate. I can build the toolbar fine. But when I install it, the toolbar does not show up on IE. I unlocked the toolbar mode. It still does not show up. I see my toolbar name under View -> Toolbars. I don't know why it's not showing up.

When I installed the toolbar(which I built on windows 2003) on windows vista, it worked fine. But now it's not working.

Is there anything wrong with my environment?

Thanks.

Posted 03 Feb, 2009 03:09:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Caesar,

The toolbar is shown at startup if you set its LoadAtStartup to true. If you have Position = Default, the the toolbar position is determined by IE. It is possible that IE decided to move it to the right of existing toolbars. You can check that by using Position = NewRow.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Feb, 2009 07:33:22 Top
Caesar Kim

I think that I set it to LoadAtStartup=true and Position = NewRow when I was building it on windows 2003. How should I check? let me double-check. I forgot how to check.

Thanks.

Posted 03 Feb, 2009 11:46:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Caesar,

See InitializeComponent in your IE module.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Feb, 2009 12:32:58 Top
Caesar Kim

I just verified that LoadAtStartUp to true and Position to NewRow. But it's still not showing up. is there anything else that I need to check?
Posted 03 Feb, 2009 17:04:27 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Caesar,

I have a bunch of questions for you:

1. Is the UAC enabled?
2. Did you run the setup.exe?
3. Could you show me the adxloader.log file which is located in the <Documents>\Add-in Express folder?

Please check up whether your toolbar is listed in the list of enabled add-ons. Go to the Tools | Manage Add-ons | Enable or Disable Add-ons. Is your toolbar listed here? Is it enabled?
Posted 04 Feb, 2009 06:09:48 Top
Amitkumar Dave

Hi

I am facing the same issue. On vista business/home/ultimate if UAC is on my add in is not visible in IE nor listed in Add on list. I have tested this on all three vista releases.

The add on gets visible if i run my visual studio in admin mode and use Register ADX project option from the context menu but same project fails to work when i run setup.exe (both in simple way and running it as administrator)

Os is fully patched and updated till last fix on windows update including service packs.

Add in express version is Add-in Express 2008 .NET for Internet Explorer Standard with with addinexpress.ie.dll version no 4.3.124(i got this from windows explorer property) and adxregext.exe versioned as 4.3.1910.0

Please help us to get it resolved as toolbar works perfectly when UAC is off and on other operating systems.

There is no adxloader.log file created nor any error happens in setup or in event log.

Thanks and regards
Amitkumar Dave

Posted 17 Feb, 2009 18:18:38 Top
Amitkumar Dave

Hi

Today i tried with latest relesae of addon , i have updated the adxloader.dll in my project after upgrade to next release and now the file version reads like 4.4.1913 but still if the UAC is on and if i run setup toolbar does not get displayed in vista nor it gets listed in add on. It seems like registration of toolbar in IE is failing but there is no trace of any error anywhere.

Please help us .
Amitkumar Dave
Posted 18 Feb, 2009 06:55:55 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Amitkumar,

I have just answered you in another forum http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=4806.
Posted 18 Feb, 2009 06:59:49 Top
Amitkumar Dave

Hi

The issue can be reproduced in following manner with simple add on just as having a button on toolbar without any functionality. I can confirm that this issue happens on all vista machines we have including my home computer with vista ultimate.

1. Turn on UAC in vista and protected mode in IE and restart machine as asked by vista os.
2. Compile the setup project of a simple toolbar project like a toolbar with a simple button doing nothing at all in code. This will give us setup.exe and msi file.
3. Run setup.exe and confirm the action to UAC.
4. Setup will go good and project will be installed in the location required
5. Open IE and the toolbar or BHO of project does not get listed in Manage Add ons list nor toolbar gets visible.

The worst part is that there is no no log file created nor any error happens in installation or in event log.

It is equally strange that when i run visual studio in admin mode and then use Register ADX project option from context menu toolbar gets displayed in IE properly but same toolbar fails when i use installer.

Thanks for helping me out again. Previously your help on toolbar with registry stuff to get third party extension has saved me from trouble and i hope you will be able to get me out of this problem also. We have created a very functional toolbar using your component with very less complications and code but some of the issue like this is bit of problem to us as of now, i appriciate your help.

Thanks and regards
Amitkumar Dave
Posted 18 Feb, 2009 07:08:07 Top