Problems with registering ADX-COM Add-in

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Beau Holland

I am having problems with registering my Add-in for WORD. I had it working great but stuffed it somehow by creating copies of that project and moving the existing project. Similar to the following post: http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=162

Even new Add-in's do not get registered anymore. I cannot get any new toolbars to load in word.

Also, normally if I have the WORD application open and try to build the ADX-COM add-in, it errors because it cann't copy the file into the destination folder, but now I can have WORD open and still build the Add-in builds with out errors, and still doesn't add the Toolbar....
Posted 23 Mar, 2005 00:57:41 Top
Sven Heitmann

Hi Beau,
you get the error message when the addin is loaded by Word and Visual Studio can not overwrite it.

No message means, the addin is not loaded by Word.

Have you tried the steps Matthias did to solve his problem?

Try to completely unregister it, if there is no other way delete the Registry entries and don't forget the settings on Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins. This is where Words Addins are registered.

Please notice:

When you register an Assembly for COM-Interop, it's path is stored in the Registry. When you move it, the value is not changed automatically and can cause some trouble.
Word Addins are identified by the ProgId, if you change it, the addin won't load.

The best, before moving an Addin around or changing some of the important values (GUID, Assemblyname, ProgId) do unregister an addin, so all settings are removed and there is no conflict.

If you follow this, it saves a lot of headache, I know what I'm talking about ;)
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 23 Mar, 2005 02:53:50 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Sven.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Posted 23 Mar, 2005 04:51:55 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Beau.

I agree with Sven on this point. It is very important to unregister an add-in before it will be moved to another location. This simple rule prevents some trouble in the future.
Posted 23 Mar, 2005 05:03:00 Top
Beau Holland

Trouble indeed. I thought I completely unregistered all add-ins but for some reason I can not get word to show any existing or new toolbars I have created.

I will be more careful in the future moving projects on the file system. I finally fixed this problem the hard way by uninstalling Office and installing it again. I didn't think this would work but it did.

Thanks for your help.
Posted 23 Mar, 2005 17:46:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Beau.

I am sorry you had to uninstall Office. You could solve this issue in more easy way. You had to find all references to your add-in project in the system registry and remove them (CTRL+F in the Find dialog of the system registry editor and type in the name of an add-in project).
Posted 24 Mar, 2005 06:00:56 Top

I've had a little bit more time to check out this problem and deleting all the references to the add-in project fixes the issue. Thanks again for your quick help. Your product rocks.
Posted 28 Mar, 2005 22:23:29 Top