Registering project with sdk-style csproj file

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Registering project with sdk-style csproj file
How can we register a visual studio project using the 2017 csproj file structure? 
Vasilis Prantzos

Hi!

I am having trouble registering my ADX project from the context menu (Add-in Express=> Register).
A NotImplementedException exception is thrown by
AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.RegisterADXProject

This is the log entry:

<LogEntry Date="2020-09-07 16:30:45" Severity="Exception" Source="AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.RegisterADXProject" ProcessId="1636">
  <Exception Type="System.NotImplementedException" Source="EnvDTE.Property.set_Value">
    <Message>The method or operation is not implemented.</Message>
    <StackTrace>   at EnvDTE.Property.set_Value(Object lppvReturn)
   at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.VSLangRebuild(Project project, Boolean register)
   at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.RebuildProject(Project project, Boolean register)
   at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.RegisterADXProject(Project project)</StackTrace>
  </Exception>
</LogEntry>
<LogEntry Date="2020-09-07 16:37:23" Severity="Exception" Source="AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.dteBuildEvents_OnBuildProjConfigDone" ProcessId="1636">
  <Exception Type="System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException" Source="AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.set_TargetProject">
    <Message>Type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Implementation.Package.Automation.OAProject' in assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Implementation, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' is not marked as serializable.</Message>
    <StackTrace>   at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.set_TargetProject(Project value)
   at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Registrator.dteBuildEvents_OnBuildProjConfigDone(String projectUniqueName, String ProjectConfig, String Platform, String SolutionConfig, Boolean Success)</StackTrace>
  </Exception>
</LogEntry>

We have performed an overdue cleanup of our solution, part of which was to update the csproj files.
This happened after moving to the 2017 sdk-style csproj file structure.
Is there any configuration we need to do so that the project can be registered correctly?
If not, then can we perform the registration using a script with manual steps as a workaround?

Could you please help out in identifying what the problem is and in fixing the project's registration?
Posted 28 Sep, 2020 03:36:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Vasilis,

Add-in Express doesn't support that project format. It targets multiple platforms, while the .NET Framework (and Add-in Express) only targets Windows. Note that .NET Core doesn't provide a possibility to register your add-in with COM: in the project properties, on the Build tab, the corresponding check box is disabled. I suppose this is because that option is a Windows-specific thing.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Sep, 2020 04:28:55 Top
Vasilis Prantzos

Hi Andrei,

I hope you are doing well, thank you for your answer!

I see you are right ComInterop registration is disabled. I am not targeting netstandard or netcore, I am targeting net472 though.

After reading about it in Microsoft's devblogs, (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-5/, https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/announcing-net-core-3-0-preview-5/), I see that .NET5 (and even .NET Core 3 preview 5) has some support concerning COM Interop. But I am not sure about registering a dotnet assembly for com interop.

Are you aware of how this works since .NET5 is due for November.
Any plans to update support for .NET5 if there is a solution for COM interoperability support in .NET5?
Posted 30 Sep, 2020 03:38:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Vasilis,

I can't answer your questions now. Please check https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=16000

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Sep, 2020 03:47:28 Top
Vasilis Prantzos

Thank you Andrei for your response,

I will check and follow the other topic.

Kind regards,
Vasily
Posted 02 Oct, 2020 09:38:04 Top