Outlook addin is not loaded in embedded mode

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook addin is not loaded in embedded mode

ludwigvan

Our outlook addin is properly loaded when Outlook is started directly. However if we use explorer's right click menu and choose send to -> mail recipient or if we try to share a word document as a attachment via Word -> File -> Share -> As email attachment, addin does not appear at all. It seems like a limitation from these old topics and not a bug in our code

https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=1672
https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=1&TID=1056&MID=4935&phrase_id=331690#message4935

Is there a way to overcome this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Posted 26 Oct, 2018 07:29:15 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hello Ludwig,

Yes, there exist some limitations in this case but they relate to Outlook Object Model events. I have just tested a small Outlook add-in against my Outlook 2016 32-bit and see that ribbon controls and advanced regions work fine. What exactly does not work on your side?
Posted 29 Oct, 2018 03:54:24 Top
ludwigvan

When I right click a file from windows explorer, choose send to -> mail recipient, outlook starts but our addin is not loaded
Posted 30 Oct, 2018 02:19:31 Top
ludwigvan

When I right click a file from windows explorer, choose send to -> mail recipient, outlook starts but our addin is not loaded

By the way if I disable and reenable the addin, it shows up. I guess the initialization methods are not called in the first place since this is just a simple MAPI call and startup events don't fire : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/b89e18d3-7326-4b1f-b65e-f955bed53930/outlookaddin-and-word-sent-to-mail-recepient-sent-as-attachment-problem?forum=vsto
Posted 30 Oct, 2018 03:31:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ludwig,

Is the issue reproducible? If so, is there an adxloader.log describing the add-in start that fails?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Oct, 2018 03:51:23 Top
ludwigvan

Hi Andrei,

As I shared in my first post I believe this is an already known limitation by Outlook (it doesn't seem to fire events for new inspector etc in that mode)

So, as far as I can see, addin actually loads, but the inspector events are not triggered.

Someone had suggested to put a timer in which one loops through all inspector windows, and inits the ribbon manually somehow (might be impossible since ribbon is static though)

I wanted to know if you have a suggestion in this case?
Posted 30 Oct, 2018 10:15:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ludwig,

I'm sorry for the delayed response; I guess I overlooked your post somehow.

As Dmitry pointed out above, the add-in (Ribbon & ADXOlForm) loads correctly if you use Outlook 2016 and send a document from Word. I confirm this works whether Outlook is closed or not.

What Office version are you using?

If the add-in doesn't load, you cannot do anything. If the add-in is loaded and you need to detect the mail item opened in the Simple MAPI inspector, you can which is shown in a modal window with no InspectorActivate event fired, you can rely on the Add-in Express logic that shows a custom pane. In older Outlook versions you cannot do anything to show custom Ribbon controls in this case.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 02 Nov, 2018 03:43:05 Top