Send To Menu option

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Send To Menu option

Esteban Astudillo

I found this old post doing a search on the Forums and I believe the question is still relevant:

http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=1&TID=1056&MID=4935&phrase_id=331690#message4935

In his response Dmitry refers to a Microsoft post (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155701(office.10).aspx) where it's mentioned that the NewInspector event is not triggered when the "Send To / Mail Recipient" is used from other Windows applications (like in Windows Explorer)

11.4 Inspector events
Just as Outlook has an Explorers collection with each individual Explorer object representing a folder window, it also has an Inspectors collection, where each individual Inspector object represents an individual Outlook item window. The Inspectors collection has one event, NewInspector, which fires whenever a new Inspector opens. Unfortunately, the NewInspector event does not fire in all cases where the user opens a new Outlook message. In Outlook 2000, it does not fire when Word is used as the editor (a configuration known as WordMail). In both Outlook 2000 and 2002, you will get no NewInspector event when you invoke a Send or Send To command from other Office programs, Windows Explorer, or Internet Explorer. Furthermore, using the Next or Previous buttons in an open item window reuses the corresponding Inspector, so you don't get a NewInspector event there either, even though the item being viewed changes.

Further complicating the picture is the fact that, like NewExplorer, the NewInspector event provides only the most recently opened Inspector. To handle events for all open Outlook Inspector windows would require a "wrapper" class module, which is beyond the scope of this book.

I understand the limitation for the NewInspector event, but the article does not mention the ActivateInspector event as having the same problem. So I assumed it would be triggered, but in my case it is not. I close Outlook, use the Send To option in Windows Explorer, a new Inspector window is opened, but the Log action I have in the ActivateInsepctor event is not triggered.

Am I missing something or the AcitvateInspector is also affected by this behaviour?
Posted 14 Dec, 2006 15:11:36 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Esteban.

Yes, the InspectorActivate event is not triggered as well.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 14 Dec, 2006 17:10:06 Top
Borys Pukalyak

Sergey Grischenko!

This is very major issue in our project. We implemented ADX form in new mail inspector. But it does not appear in case you trying to send mail via Explorer or Word/Excel, etc. This is important for us because users often send mails in such way. We are going to prepare final release of our product in April. Post from Microsoft reffers to such kind of "wrapper" class which should be written to handle events. Are you going to write this "wrapper" class? And when are you going to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Posted 29 Jan, 2007 15:58:16 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Borys.

Unfortunately, the NewInspector event does not fire in all cases where the user opens a new Outlook message. In Outlook 2000, it does not fire when Word is used as the editor (a configuration known as WordMail). In both Outlook 2000 and 2002, you will get no NewInspector event when you invoke a Send or Send To command from other Office programs, Windows Explorer, or Internet Explorer. Furthermore, using the Next or Previous buttons in an open item window reuses the corresponding Inspector, so you don't get a NewInspector event there either, even though the item being viewed changes.

It is not possible to handle events that don't fire.
Posted 29 Jan, 2007 17:00:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Borys,

On December, 27 I wrote to Andriy Hapa on the issue you've mentioned. I cite my answer:

When Outlook Inspector window is started from, say, Windows Explorer, both Inspectors.NewInspector and Inspector.Activate do not fire. This is the real cause of the issue. And without these events it is not possible to connect an Outlook add-in to an Inspector window (and I don't even say about about showing the forms). In the abstract it may be possible to imitate such sort of events using some Window Explorer add-in. But this is definitely "beyond the scope". There can exist some other ways, but, at the moment, I do not know them.

I've just added this problem to our internal problem-list. But, considering our plans and workloads, we will not be able to look at this problem before March. And once again, we don't know if this problem can be solved at all.

As to the MSDN page you referred to, it describes an absolutely different situation. The "wrapper class" in the article is a class that "pastures" all the Explorer (or Inspector) windows from their creation till "death" by saving them to a collection, for example. Am I wrong?

To be more clear, I don't think that this wrapper class has to do anything with the issue.
Posted 30 Jan, 2007 05:59:32 Top