Error during registering Outlook add-in

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Error during registering Outlook add-in

uwekeim

During registering an Outlook add-in in Visual Studio via right-click in "Solution Explorer" → "Add-in Express" → "Register", I get the following sequence of dialogs:

User added an image

Then after some time this appears:

User added an image

When clicking the blue "add-in-express-package-log.txt", my text editor opens and displays:

User added an image

I.e. the log file simply does not exist. I've also let https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon run in the background while doing these steps and see no file activity for a file called "add-in-express-package-log.txt", too.

The Outlook add-in was first developed in 2012 and then sucessfully upgraded to the always latest Add-in Express version ever since.

On the other hand, registering a newly created Outlook add-in following https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-outlook-addins.php works successfully.

My question:

How to further investigate (and finally solve) the erroneous registration process?
Posted 06 Oct, 2018 13:17:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

Please look for add-in-express-package-log in c:\Windows\System32\.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Oct, 2018 06:17:56 Top
uwekeim

Non there, unfortunately.
Posted 09 Oct, 2018 07:28:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

Could you please send us a project that reproduces this? Find our support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure that youor email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 10 Oct, 2018 05:04:21 Top
uwekeim

You can reproduce the issue if you throw an exception within the c'tor of the ADXAddinModule-derived class.

[GuidAttribute("727366D9-6BAA-4BB1-A5FF-EAEA8E67FDD9"), ProgId("MyAddin1.AddinModule")]
public partial class AddinModule : AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule
{
	public AddinModule()
	{
		Application.EnableVisualStyles();
		InitializeComponent();

throw new Exception("This exception will prevent registration, though you never will find out since no log will be written.");
	}

In my case an (indirect) exception was the cause, although I do not know until now, why the method I call from the c'tor actually throws.

Thus, an actual existing error log would really help.
Posted 11 Oct, 2018 12:04:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

Thank you for the idea. It helped me to find the log on my machine: I've found it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\.log". We will fix this bug in the next Add-in Expres build.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 Oct, 2018 07:12:06 Top