Addin not loading when debugging

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Addin not loading when debugging
The addin is loading when I start Outlook normally, but when started from the debugger it not loading due to an COM error 
Frans Oskam

I have a addin-express project that I already use for a couple of years. Multiple customers of me use it and I was always able to debug it by starting it from Visual Studio.

Now suddenly Outlook is not loading it anymore when I start it from Visual Studio. ('Start external program' is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE' and I created a OUTLOOK.EXE.Config file with <supportedRuntime version="2.0.50727"/> )

When I start it from the debugger the addin is not loaded and Outlook is saying its not loaded because 'A runtime error has occured during the loading of the com addin'. Addin Express is not even generating a logfile(!)... The 'loadbehaviour' in the registry jumps from 3 to 2.

The weird thing is that it does load without any problem when I just start Outlook... all functionallity of the addin work, the addin-express logfile does appear, etc. I can also build new versions and they also load without problems. I can even attach the Visual Studio debugger to the process and debug the addin like that... no really convenient though

What can be the cause of this?

Best regards,
Frans
Posted 31 Aug, 2016 11:11:10 Top
Carson

See if what is described here solves it:
https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=13190
Posted 31 Aug, 2016 11:18:15 Top
Frans Oskam

The hostconfiguration was ok.
I tried unregister-register mutiple times... - then it would also not run without the debugger
Posted 31 Aug, 2016 11:57:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Carson!

Hello Frans,

Unregister your add-in from the IDE. If it is installed, uninstall it. Start the host application and check that your add-in isn't listed in File | Options | Add-ins. Close the host application. Register your project from the IDE. Start the host application. Your add-in should be listed in the File | Options | Add-ins dialog under the "Active application add-ins" heading. If so, close the host application. Start a debugging session. If the add-in isn't loaded, check section "Breakpoints are not hit when debugging" at https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-deploying-debugging-tips.php#breakpoints.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Aug, 2016 12:09:22 Top
Frans Oskam

I checked that, I can unregister. It dissapears from Outlook. Than registering... its appears again and works fine when starting Outlook directlty. It does not load when Outlook is started by Visual Studio.

It is not about the debugging... I have a OUTLOOK.EXE.Config file with <supportedRuntime version="2.0.50727"/>
Outlook is just not loading it and changing the 'loadbehaviour' from 3 to 2.
It look like Addin-Express is not even started because the is now new logfile created.
Posted 01 Sep, 2016 04:45:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Frans,

I would like to access your PC remotely. Is this possible? If yes, I suggest using TeamViewer; in this case you'll need to send me your session ID and password to the support email; see {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt.

Today, I'll be available for a remote session for the next 3 hours.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Sep, 2016 06:56:25 Top
Frans Oskam

Hi Andrei,

Today I was not in the office. Tomorrow from 11:00 (GMT+1) I'm in the office again. Maybe you can take a look then with TeamViewer? I will send you the TeamViewer ID and password tomorrow...

Best regards,
Frans Oskam
Posted 01 Sep, 2016 12:04:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Frans,

Please send me the session ID and password to the support email address.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 02 Sep, 2016 03:53:33 Top
Frans Oskam

Hi Andrei,

It's 11:00 now here... so I've just send you my ID and password...
Posted 02 Sep, 2016 04:19:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

To All,

The issue was fixed during a remote session. It was a result of a mess in the registry. We've managed to solve it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 02 Sep, 2016 04:58:13 Top