Cannot Add Custom Control

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Cannot Add Custom Control
Cannot add custom control (.NET standard control) to Outlook command bar 
Jugal Shah

Hi there,

I'm trying to follow the Add-In Express Developers Guide and add a standard .NET combobox control to my command bar (as the ADX one is not as fully featured as far as events, etc). I'm having trouble though - I can add an advanced control, I can add a standard combobox and then set the adxCommandBarAdvancedControl1.Control to be comboBox1, but I don't see the Adapters as mentioned in the docs.

I also found this video: https://www.add-in-express.com/office-toolbar-controls/video.php, but if you go to about 0:50 where they drag in ADXOutlookControlAdapter from "Toolbar Controls for Microsoft Office" - I don't have that section in the Toolbox at all.

Also, just to confirm - once I finally get this working, I should be able to access the comboBox1 events as with a usual forms application, correct? The issue I'm having is, I'm trying to have an ADXcombobox allow me to type text in and do stuff when Enter is pressed or focus is lost, etc, but those events are not exposed by ADX, it seems.
Posted 05 Aug, 2015 12:59:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Jugal,

Please right-click a tab in the Toolbox (you can create a custom tab first) and choose Choose Items in the context menu. Switch to the tab .NET Framework Components and select the following items: ADXExcelControlAdapter, ADXOutlookControlAdapter, ADXPowerPointControlAdapter, and ADXWordControlAdapter.

Jugal Shah writes:
Also, just to confirm - once I finally get this working, I should be able to access the comboBox1 events as with a usual forms application, correct?

Yes. Please check section Your First .NET Control on an Office Toolbar in the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Since toolbars are available in pre-Ribbon Office versions only, you may prefer to show that combobox on a pane. This may save your time significantly.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Aug, 2015 09:06:54 Top
Jugal Shah

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you Andrei, this worked. I have another issue but will create a new post for it.

Also, as for this
Since toolbars are available in pre-Ribbon Office versions only, you may prefer to show that combobox on a pane. This may save your time significantly.
- I'm in an Office 2007 environment so I'm limited in my use of ribbons. I'm aware of the differences however, and realize I'll eventually need to make changes to support ribbon interfaces.

Jugal
Posted 13 Aug, 2015 09:29:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No problem and thank you for letting me know.

As regard to your comment, I I should have highlighted this: a combobox on a pane would work in subsequent Office versions.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Aug, 2015 09:44:30 Top