Pop a warning on email composing

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Pop a warning on email composing

nwein

Is this achievable with an add-in?
When adding a group containing a lot of recipients to an email, Outlook (at least 2010) would prompt a message (above the Send and To fields) saying that this group contains x amount of recipients. This allows identifying the distribution list if it was added by mistake.
Basically this:
User added an image

I don't know the terminology of this control/event/button/thing but is it possible for me to create such a thing myself as well (with my own criteria of course)? If so, can I also make it actionable? So that clicking on it will do something (again, I'll specify what to do if clicked)?
Posted 13 Feb, 2015 14:39:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

I would use our Outlook Events Logger (see https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/07/01/outlook-events-tool/) to find what occurs when you add such a distribution group by choosing it from the Select Names dialog and by printing the name of the group. I expect that you'll be able to find that a distribution group has been added a) in the Write event of that MailItem or b) after a small delay after the BeforeCheckNames event occurs.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Feb, 2015 07:34:59 Top
nwein

Thanks for the suggestion to use the events tool. It didn't give me any clue though as to how to create that control (by now I'm guessing it's a button).
Is this the very first time you've heard/seen this button appear in the composing mail window?
I really just want to know how to call it or add it myself manually. I don't care about distribution group or any of that, that was just an example of how the button pops up. You can observe another variation of this button for example, when you compose an email to someone who has set their automatic reply (out of office).
I'm pretty sure there are numerous other ways to cause that button to appear (with different text, different purpose etc. - That's my goal)

The event add-in just shows that the To, CC and BCC properties have changed:
ADXOutlookItemEvents.PropertyChange. Property name is To
ADXOutlookItemEvents.PropertyChange. Property name is CC
ADXOutlookItemEvents.PropertyChange. Property name is BCC
When I first add the distribution group and then again when I click the button to remove it.
Posted 16 Feb, 2015 11:34:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

I see. You need to show a custom form containing that button. For instance you can use an ADXOlForm in the Top layout; all available layouts are listed at https://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/outlook-regions.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Feb, 2015 05:29:21 Top
nwein

Ok, thanks. I'll look into this avenue. Was really hoping it's a control accessible by the API...
Posted 17 Feb, 2015 11:01:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

Alas, this control isn't available on the object model.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Feb, 2015 06:07:02 Top