unstable addinmodule and errors

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

unstable addinmodule and errors

Johnnyxp64

hi

recently i keep getting this when i try to double click and edit the Addinmodule.vb file.
The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)
no further line errors. as a result there is no designer.

i have to restart and rebuild a couple of times the entire solution for it to work.

also its generaly very very unstable. it depends on the Add-iN express mood i sometimes get a contextmenu and a rebon in my outlook, if i just open the module and do nothing, next time the ribbon and context are missing!

finally in the designer the icons are all over the place, i always have to right click and select "line up" otherwise one its on the other.

what is going on? why so unstable? this is a phenomeno i had for months now.

reagrds

before and everytime i open it:
User added an image

after i line up, next time goes back to "before":
User added an image
Posted 27 Jan, 2015 09:55:04 Top
nwein

Just want to +1 the designer icons - 3.5 years after my https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=9494 it's still happening :)
Posted 27 Jan, 2015 10:10:17 Top
Johnnyxp64

yeah it drives you nuts!!!! :(
how hard can it be to force teh "line up icons" function every time we open the designer?

but besides that my other problems are even worst.
Posted 27 Jan, 2015 10:12:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Johnny and Nir,

Johnnyxp64 writes:
how hard can it be to force teh "line up icons" function every time we open the designer?

We will investigate this and let you know. The icons are controlled by Visual Studio or the Designer class itself; Add-in Express doesn't do anything related to positioning the icons.

Johnnyxp64 writes:
recently i keep getting this when i try to double click and edit the Addinmodule.vb file. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG) no further line errors. as a result there is no designer.

Can it be that you have CopyLocal=True on an Add-in Express references of your project? In the Solution Explorer click the toolbar button Show All Files, expand the References node, select the reference(s) and check the CopyLocal property in the Properties window.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Jan, 2015 08:55:08 Top
Johnnyxp64

hi Andrei

well i do have (as by default) the copy local of the resources to true, its helpfull for my later merge assemply steps, but that is there like years.... never caused a problem before. i do not get at this point the error but as i said its random! so changing the copy local to false can't verify if that is indeed tha cause or not at the momment. i will have to wait i quess for the error to return....

thanks please try to address the icons and the instabilities that i am loosing the context menu from time to time!
Posted 28 Jan, 2015 09:33:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Johnny,

I suppose by using Copy Local = true you actually use an older version of the Add-in Express assembly (ies). In this case, part of code is invoked from that assembly while other part of code is invoked from the assembly located in GAC (it contains the installed Add-in Express version); this is where the issue may originate from. I would suggest that you set Copy Local = false; then you can set it back to true but make sure it references the currently installed assembly version.

Johnnyxp64 writes:
thanks please try to address the icons and the instabilities that i am loosing the context menu from time to time!

We will let you know when we find out whether it is possible to invoke the Line Up Icons command automatically or not.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 29 Jan, 2015 05:38:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Johnny and Nir,

We've published a new build, see https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php. When right-clicking the design surface of the module, pay attention to the AutoArrange command. Hope this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 03 Apr, 2015 05:38:09 Top
Johnnyxp64

hi Andrei, thanks a lot for the update i am installing it now.
by the way can you tell me where can i see the complete change log?
i wish to know all the fixes and changes you do in every version in detail :)

regards
John

p.s the AutoArrange works like charm! finally everythig is in order! :)
Posted 06 Apr, 2015 16:16:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for letting me know.

You can find the change log in {Add-in Express installation folder}\whatsnew.txt or at https://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/history.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 07 Apr, 2015 01:23:17 Top