Drag & Drop into Outlook Explorer

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Drag & Drop into Outlook Explorer

nwein

I've read a few posts about this but couldn't find if it's actually possible.
Can I handle the drop event in Outlook Explorer? Seems like Outlook Explorer doesn't allow dropping things onto it (the inspector does when composing mails, probably in the event of adding attachments, haven't checked it out but would make sense).
Am I right? Or can I handle such an event to modify Outlook objects? (if so what would that event be? where can I subscribe to it?)
I know I can achieve this behaviour (modifying Outlook objects) with buttons and whatnot, but wanted to know if it's achievable via dragging & dropping as well.

Additional question:
Is it possible to distinguish file drop into an open email (i.e. in edit mode) from regular attachment? i.e. is it signaled differently when I drop a file (meant to be an attachment) versus adding an attachment through Insert > Attach file?
Posted 23 Dec, 2014 14:10:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

The Outlook object model doesn't provide such an event. You can use our https://www.add-in-express.com/products/outlook-events.php to find out the sequence of events in this or that situation.

nwein writes:
Seems like Outlook Explorer doesn't allow dropping things onto it

It accepts a .MSG file, as well as many others.

nwein writes:
Is it possible to distinguish file drop into an open email (i.e. in edit mode) from regular attachment? i.e. is it signaled differently when I drop a file (meant to be an attachment) versus adding an attachment through Insert > Attach file?

You can intercept clicking the button IdMso=AttachFile and this will create a difference between two ways of attaching a file.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 24 Dec, 2014 05:13:05 Top
nwein

Hey Andrei,
It accepts a .MSG file, as well as many others.

In what way can you see that? If I try dragging .msg or any other file into outlook explorer (onto a mail), it doesn't add the file to the mail, it merely creates a brand new email with the latter file attached to it. There's no indication which exact mail item the file was attempted to be dropped on (i.e. focused/highlight) and it's not exactly what I would call pure drag & drop. I don't believe there's an designated event for it either, just a chain of new mail, add attachment.
Seems rather convoluted to differentiate between adding attachments vs dropping them by tracing the click of the add attachment button, I can see so many pitfalls with it that it might not be worthwhile, but thanks anyway.
I wasn't aware of that event logger utility, that's pretty neat. Thanks
Posted 24 Dec, 2014 10:34:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Nir,

Dropping a file onto the list of items does create a new item; this is what I meant.

Dropping a file onto the Reading Pane makes sense only if you compose an email in the inline response editor of Outlook 2013. If there's no inline response, dropping a file does nothing because there's no email item being composed.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 26 Dec, 2014 02:43:07 Top