Word 2010 Add in not loading after installation

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Jordan Glassco

Hello - I am having a similar problem to this thread http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=9157, which does not appear to have been resolved.

The Word 2010 Add in works fine in debug mode.

After publishing, downloading and installing the add in on another PC via clickonce, I get a "Can't find the 'Smart NDT Reporting Application' product in the system registry."

Also, after trying to register manually using your clickonce registration tool, I get a "Registration Succeeded" message, followed by a "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" message. The registration happens abnormally fast, compared to when it used to work. I am assuming that the AddinModule class is somehow not initializing properly when it comes to ADX registration time.

I would be happy to send you the project or anything else you might require to help me solve this. A few more pieces of info:
-This issue just started happening one day - not sure what I did or why...
-I have recreated the project from scratch, dumped in all the code, resources, etc and the issue still remains.
-There is no extra code in the AddinModule constructor
-There is no ADX event log created that I'm aware of because the issue appears to occur during registration.
-There are no Registry Keys created after registration at HKey_Current_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word
-Project is set to "Any CPU"
-I do not modify the installer using MAGE.exe
-I have created a test C# Console project and that defines and creates a new instance of AddinModule class in an effort to root out any issues causing the constructor to throw an exception. It appears to instantiate just fine.
-I am using Word 2010 and ADX 7.1.4050 Pro

In an effort to speed things up, I have sent an email to your support address with a link that will allow you to download the VS2010 project if necessary.

Thanks again,

Jordan
Posted 08 Jan, 2013 15:01:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Jordan,

What causing the issue is the assemblyIdentity attribute missing in adxloader.dll.manifest.

One of the rules is: don't use the Word object model in a background thread because all object models in Office are NOT thread-safe. Now pay attention to the code line commented with "fails sometimes in UNDO operations" - it uses the Word object model in a background thread.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Jan, 2013 09:25:03 Top
Jordan Glassco

Hi Andrei,

That fixed the issue... To be honest I used to have that assemblyIdentity attribute line in the adxloader.dll.manifest... I'm not quite sure what happened to it.

And yes... I will pay more attention to which threads touch the Word API.

Thanks again for your help... much appreciated!

Jordan
Posted 10 Jan, 2013 09:45:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Jan, 2013 10:01:14 Top