Excel add-in : TaskPane as Floating form

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel add-in : TaskPane as Floating form
How to undock a taskpane? 
bobby

Hi,
I have taskpanes in an Excel Add-In. It is possible to define several places where the taskpane can be docked (left, right, top, bottom).
I would also like the user to be able to "undock" the taskpane and have it like a floating form.

How can I do that?

Thanks a lot!
Best regards.
Posted 14 Aug, 2012 08:18:03 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Posted 14 Aug, 2012 08:37:50 Top
bobby

I am using ADX Excel TaskPanes, and the adxExcelTaskPaneManager.

--> public partial class ADXExcelTaskPane_Log : AddinExpress.XL.ADXExcelTaskPane
Posted 14 Aug, 2012 13:28:18 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Emmanuel,

Please use the AllowedDropPositions property of the AddinExpress.XL.ADXExcelTaskPanesCollectionItem class for specifying several places where the taskpane can be docked. Note, you need to set the IsDragDropAllowed property for enabling the Drag&Drop functionality.

The floating mode is not supported. But, as a workaround, you can display a regular windows form (System.Windows.Forms.Form) on your own.
Posted 15 Aug, 2012 08:14:25 Top
bobby

And if I use a Custom Office Task Pane, would it be possible to switch between floating forms and docked taskpanes?
What are the major differences between Custom Office TaskPanes and ADX TaskPanes?

Thanks a lot,
Posted 15 Aug, 2012 17:46:49 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Emmanuel,

These are entirely different technologies. http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/office-task-panes.php belong to Add-in Express vs. Custom Task Panes belong to VSTO technology. You can read more about this in the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942864%28v=vs.80%29.aspx article in MSDN.

If you want to switch between floating forms and docked task panes you need to handle the required preparations in the code of your add-in. Add-in Express doesn't provide floating regions. Windows forms can be used for this.
Posted 16 Aug, 2012 05:12:48 Top
nwein

To add to bobby's question - It seems like native Excel task panes do allow floating (e.g. pivot table task pane), are there any plans on adding this capability to ADX? Are native Excel task panes built the same way as Custom task pane?
Do you have any tips as to how to build a dockable with floating capabilities task pane in Excel (or other office products)?
Posted 27 Aug, 2012 16:46:59 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nir,

You are right. The msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942864%28v=vs.80%29.aspx provide the floating layout for their forms. Add-in Express provides its own advanced task panes (they are not based on the custom task panes). Moreover, we are not going to add the floating layout to the http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/office-task-panes.php due to the fact that you can use a regular windows form for implementing the required functionality (you just need to specify the parent window to the Show method). For example, you can use a user control for storing your controls on the task pane. And, when you need to get the advanced task pane floating, you can hide the visible task pane and show a regular windows form with your user control displayed.
Posted 28 Aug, 2012 08:08:24 Top