Bug report: System.ExecutionEngineException was unhandled?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Bug report: System.ExecutionEngineException was unhandled?
Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in AddinExpress.IE.dll 
Robert Apostolico

I don't know if this is related to this anomaly or not:
http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=12372

But what happens to me, occasionally, while debugging and stepping through my code,
I'll finish looking at the data I need, and hit [F5] in the VS IDE to continue the running process.

WHEN I do that, I'll get the below exception thrown at me:

System.ExecutionEngineException was unhandled
Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in AddinExpress.IE.dll

I'm not sure how to prevent this.
(In general, the browser has to restart 2-3 times before its "happy" again).

We all know that historically, IE has become synonymous as a crash-and-burn browser.
When developing an add-in, you want to do your best to prevent additional crashes.
When the browser goes down now, I'm not sure if its me, IE, or the add-in-express controller.

Any suggestions or best practices would be appreciated!

ALSO: There are NO OTHER add-in/plug-ins installed while doing testing/development.
IE11, Windows 7, 64-bit, 24GB ram.

THANK YOU!
Posted 19 May, 2014 12:46:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Robert,

Does the exception occur if you set the 'HandleHTTPNegotiations' property to false?
Posted 20 May, 2014 05:15:03 Top
Robert Apostolico

Sergey,

I will toggle it to false and do some more testing and post the results.

I do not know if it is related (quite possibly), but yesterday afternoon I commented-out and removed a bunch of event handlers that had ' System.Diagnostics.Debug.Print ("info: [event-name] occurred"); ' that I was using to trace what was happening and the order of the events. I also commented out an event timer that I was using if/when a pop-up menu was shown to keep the form 'locked' to the IE window.

After commenting out both, crashes that seemed to happen every 20-30 minutes, seemed to go away; but I did not have enough time to definitely say.

I'll keep you posted with regard to both sets of tests.

Can you please explain in a bit more detail, why would someone "need" to use HandleHTTPNegotiations and force/inject HTML/javascript via the OnDataAvailable event, vs using DocumentComplete2 + rootDocLoaded?

Additionally, I'll get some screen-shots and put in a separate post, but it seems that at times, injected code and css does not appear in the IE/DOM inspector, but is indeed embedded and in use, making the initial debugging slightly harder, because you're not quite sure if the code/css actually got injected.

I look forward to your advice. Thank you for your help.
Posted 20 May, 2014 07:15:45 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Robert,

Can you please explain in a bit more detail, why would someone "need" to use HandleHTTPNegotiations and force/inject HTML/javascript via the OnDataAvailable event, vs using DocumentComplete2 + rootDocLoaded?

Please visit the following web page: http://www.add-in-express.com/support/ie-vbnet-csharp.php
To see the differences in action you need to download two examples: 'How to load custom CSS on every web page' and 'How to modify HTML source code before it is rendered in IE'. Let me know if you have any difficulties with the code.

Do you use 'F12 Developer Tools' for debugging? If so, you can use F5 to refresh the DOM content.
Posted 20 May, 2014 11:56:04 Top
Robert Apostolico

Sergey,

I do use the 'F12 Developer Tools' for debugging.
I'll try the F5 refresh to see if the DOM and debug views will synchronize themselves.

I'll take another look at the examples you mentioned.

***With the HandleHTTPNegotiations set to false (which technically, was done last evening when I deleted the event handler for OnDataAvailable), IE has been running for at least couple of hours today, and not a single crash. Before I do anymore with turning HandleHTTPNegotiations back to true, I'll put back in a few of my debug.print trace statements and see if any crashes occur.

Thank you again.
Posted 20 May, 2014 13:08:39 Top