Error 2 'PostBuildEvent' failed with error code '1' 'Unspecified error'

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Error 2 'PostBuildEvent' failed with error code '1' 'Unspecified error'

David Crozier

Hi There, I'm a bit of a newbie to Add-in Express.
I get the above error but have no-idea where it could be coming from.
'PostBuildEvent' failed with error code '1' 'Unspecified error'

I have the following as the Post-Build event, which links to the correct folder
"C:\Program Files\Add-in Express\Add-in Express for .NET\Bin\adxpatch.exe" "$(BuiltOuputPath)" /UAC=On

So I'm not sure what to do, please can you help?

many thanks
Posted 01 Jun, 2011 11:38:19 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

Please check out the path to the adxpatch.exe utility. Is it located there? Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly generated setup project?
Posted 02 Jun, 2011 01:39:16 Top
David Crozier

Hi Eugene, I can confirm that the path to the adxpatch utility is correct.
Also this issue does occur with a newly generated setup project.
Can you suggest any other possibilities?
Many Thanks
David.
Posted 02 Jun, 2011 06:16:33 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

Are you going to deploy the add-in for all users?

Anyway, you can read more about the adxpatch.exe utility in the following articles on our technical blog:

* http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/02/22/deploying-peruser-office-extension-msi-installer/
* http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/02/22/deploying-permachine-office-extensions-msi-installer/

Finally, you can compare all the settings in both setup projects and find the cause of the issue you faced with.
Posted 02 Jun, 2011 07:21:35 Top
David Crozier

Hi Eugene. I will be deploying per user. However a "new" setup project has the same problem so I am unable to compare set-up projects to find the cause of the issue.
Many Thanks for you help in any case.
Posted 02 Jun, 2011 11:22:40 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

What OS do you use? Are you able to reproduce the issue on another PC? Anyway, could you please send a sample add-in project which can reproduce the issue to the support e-mail address (see readme.txt for details)?
Posted 03 Jun, 2011 02:40:05 Top
David Crozier

Hi Eugene, I haven't been able to test on another PC.I can tell you that I am using Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3. I will send a sample to the support email via Avnash.

I also have a another query with this project, I can't seem to get the Setup Project to install for PC's running Office 2003 - it is reported by users that a message appears "setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience", is there an easy way to diagnose this? It would be great if you check the functionality for Office 2003 (it is designed only to work on Word for Office 2003 onwards)

Many thanks for your help.
David.
Posted 17 Jun, 2011 11:51:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

I can test it on a system with Office 2003 installed. I'd suggest however that you check if a newly created setup project generates installers installable on such systems.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Jun, 2011 12:01:11 Top