"The wizard has fired an exception." error when creating a WordDocumentModule or an ExcelSpreadsheetModule

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

"The wizard has fired an exception." error when creating a WordDocumentModule or an ExcelSpreadsheetModule

P B

I can not add a WordDocumentModule or an ExcelDocumentModule (Add new item). I recieve the error message as show below. It creates a WordDocumentModule1.vb but when double clicking it comes up with an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Additionaly when trying to close Visual Studio it crashes). I can create any other Add-in Express item except for the Word and Excel modules.

What happened:
AddinExpress.Wizard.ADXWizard error: the wizard has fired an exception.

Where presumably this happened:
Error occured in the code of Add-in Express .NET Package library. See 'Details' section to get more detailed information about the error.

Details:
Detailed technical information follows:
---
Date and Time: 13/09/2011 10:26:48 am
Machine Name: [removed to protect the innocent]
IP Address: [removed to protect the innocent]
Current User: [removed to protect the innocent]

Application Domain: DefaultDomain
Assembly Codebase: file:///C:/Program Files/Add-in Express/Add-in Express for .NET/Bin/Packages/VS2005/AddinExpress.Wizard.dll
Assembly Full Name: AddinExpress.Wizard, Version=6.4.3056.2005, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4416dd98f0861965
Assembly Version: 6.4.3056.2005

Exception Source: EnvDTE
Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException
Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception Target Site: Open

---- Stack Trace ----
EnvDTE.ProjectItem.Open(ViewKind As String)
AddinExpress.Wizard.dll: N 00000 (0x0) JIT
AddinExpress.Wizard.ADXWizard.AddProjectItem(fileName As String, projectItems As ProjectItems, activateDesigner As Boolean)
AddinExpress.Wizard.dll: N 0011 (0xB) IL

I am using:
Windows Vista
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 - Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
Microsoft .NET Framework - Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel
Add-in Express?Â?Ô?? 2010 for Microsoft Office and .NET v6.4.3056
UAC enabled, Installed and running VS as Admin

I have completly removed Add-in Express and Visual Studio and reinstalled. And tried running as my normal users.

Any ideas?
Posted 13 Sep, 2011 04:55:44 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi P B,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in project on my PC with Visual Studio 2010 installed.

Could you please organize a remote session? I will take a look at the issue online.
Posted 13 Sep, 2011 05:02:11 Top
P B

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for quick reply.

Unforutantly I can't sort out a remote session due to our overly proective security restrictions.

As it seems a new/unknown issue, I will look at rebuilding my machine as there is a lot of stuff on there as I am sure in the dim past this has worked - as I have demo'd something in the past - but we have only been doing Outlook related add-ins which all work perfect. I will also try installing 2005/8 and see if that works first.

Regards P B
Posted 13 Sep, 2011 05:34:59 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi P B,

Please keep me notified.
Posted 13 Sep, 2011 05:39:09 Top