Reading Pane for Mail folder in PST store...

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Reading Pane for Mail folder in PST store...
Reading pane disabled 
Jeff Gilbert

When I have my Addin in Outlook 2003 it seems to be disabling the Reading Pane for the email folder. I'm getting the following message in the Reading Pane...

This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents.

Then when I try to open the email I get a dialog with this message:

Can't open this item. The text formatting command is not available. It may not be installed correctly. Please install Outlook again.

I've never experienced this behavior before. The reason I'm thinking it has to do with the addin is that the other two systems I loaded the Addin into experienced the same issue. Running Detect & Repair seems to have fixed the issue. But upon re-registering the project on my development machine it's gone back to that.
The addin I've built uses adxOutlookEvents and a single ExplorerCommandBar. The command bar has two buttons. It's a pretty simple addin.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Other than this issue you guys have done an outstanding job of taking the drudgery out of COM addin for Outlook!!!
Posted 05 Apr, 2006 18:21:50 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Jeff.

Do you have any code in NewInspector or InspectorActivate event handlers?
Posted 06 Apr, 2006 07:47:55 Top
Jeff Gilbert

No... I've got adxOutlookEvents_ExplorerActivate, adxOutlookEvents_ExplorerFolderSwitch and then a couple toolbarbutton click events. Below is the code for the Explorer events...

Private Sub adxOutlookEvents_ExplorerActivate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal explorer As Object) Handles adxOutlookEvents.ExplorerActivate
        Dim bIsContactFolder As Boolean = False
        Dim sOLRoot As String = ""

If explorer.Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder.DefaultItemType = Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem Then bIsContactFolder = True

If bIsContactFolder Then
            sOLRoot = GetOutlookRoot()
            If sOLRoot = "" Then
                Me.cmdGetSelection.Enabled = False
            Else
                Me.cmdGetSelection.Enabled = True
            End If
        Else
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub adxOutlookEvents_ExplorerFolderSwitch(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal explorer As Object) Handles adxOutlookEvents.ExplorerFolderSwitch
        Dim bIsContactFolder As Boolean = False
        Dim sOLRoot As String = ""

If explorer.Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder.DefaultItemType = Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem Then bIsContactFolder = True

If bIsContactFolder Then
            sOLRoot = GetOutlookRoot()
            If sOLRoot = "" Then
            Else
                Me.cmdGetSelection.Enabled = True
            End If
        Else
        End If
    End Sub
Posted 06 Apr, 2006 09:40:50 Top
Jeff Gilbert

It also only seems to be happening for emails with HTML formatting... Plain text emails show just fine.
Posted 06 Apr, 2006 09:54:10 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Jeff.

Can you please comment this code, build and run the add-in again?
Posted 06 Apr, 2006 16:31:56 Top