Can I add a C++ shim after-the-fact?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Can I add a C++ shim after-the-fact?

Jon Schmoll

I've already got my ADX project up and running, but I want to avoid using a config file in the Office folder. I didn't create one when I set up the project, but Is there a way I can add a C++ add-in shim at this point? Or will I need to create a new project?

Also, do I need to do anything special with the shim, or will it work as long as I include it in the build?
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 10:58:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Jon.

We don't have a separate wizard for creating the Shim project but we add it in the next ADX build. Now you should create a new add-in project with the same name but with the Shim included. Then you need to copy the Shim project and .snk file to the folder of the existing project.
Don't forget to set the ShimProgID property of the addinmodule.
Also you will have to change the setup project just as in a new add-in project.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 12:47:23 Top
Jon Schmoll

I've created another add-in with the same name, copied the shim folder and snk file, added the shim to my project, and set the ShimProgId. But it's not showing up. Is my assembly *required* to have a strong name in order for the shim to work?
Posted 30 Mar, 2006 11:04:56 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Jon.

Yes, your assembly should have a strong name. Actually the .snk file contains a key pair to sign the add-in assembly with a strong name.
You can send me the project if you wish. I will check it.
Posted 30 Mar, 2006 13:18:23 Top