Forms very slow to be paint

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Forms very slow to be paint

Thomas Grossen

Hi,

I have now a useful add-in, thanks to Add-in Express, and its great support!

Now that I am at the end of my first add-in, I am a little disappointed about how windows forms are very slow to be displayed.

Principally the option page in Outlook take seconds to appears... Components on complex forms appear one after one... I suppose this is due to the .Net framework?

I was thinking this is only in debug, but it is the same in release mode, not very professional look for users (clients?Â?Ð??)

My question: Is there something that we can do to avoid this slow painting? Is it possible to build an Add-in (Express) without Framework?

Thank you for your help.

Thomas.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 00:32:11 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Thomas.

You can use Add-in Express VCL Edition (for Delphi) to build add-ins without .NET Framework. They work more quickly. As to the Outlook option page, you can try to create it using ATL and C++. It is more complicated but it works faster.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 08:17:56 Top
Thomas Grossen

ok, but it is a 2 month work to do again :cry:

Thomas.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 08:44:56 Top
Thomas Grossen

Sergey,

Do you have an example to create an Outlook Option page using ATL and C++, or where should I start :) C++ is not a problem for me.

Thank you.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 09:28:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

You can download an example here:
http://www.codeproject.com/com/OutlookForms.asp
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 11:23:55 Top
Eugene Starostin

Thomas,

.NET Framework works very slowly for all front-end applications. I think it is the reason why MS guys don't use .NET in their Office 2007. So, I recommend you to stay with Win32 for all UI elements except for command bars that Add-in Express processes more faster that .NET processes other UI controls.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 11:51:09 Top
Thomas Grossen

Hi,

Thank you for the sample and your input. I will try all this tomorrow.

Thomas.
Posted 29 Mar, 2006 12:43:25 Top