VS2010, Unable to copy file, The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

VS2010, Unable to copy file, The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

daniel sireci

I currently have a VS2010, C# Add-in with 2 referenced projects :

DDS_AwtecTypes_publishers
DDS_AwtecTypes_subscribers

These projects have about 10 C# classes in them each and create 2 different .dll files which are referenced by my Add in, publishers.dll and subscribers.dll.

Here is my problem.

1. When I build each of my projects and sub projects, the build succeeds. I can rebuild them any number of times without issue.
2. When I click "Register ADX Project", the project registers, no build errors.
3. When I click "Unregister ADX Project", the unregistration fails for the following reason:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(3001,9): error MSB3021: Unable to copy file "C:\development\sireci\awtec\main\VSProjects\DDS_AwtecTypes\bin\Release-VS2010\DDS_AwtecTypes_subscribers.dll" to "bin\Release\DDS_AwtecTypes_subscribers.dll". The process cannot access the file 'bin\Release\DDS_AwtecTypes_subscribers.dll' because it is being used by another process.

4. Once I register the project, I can no longer unregister or reregister without quitting visual studio.
5. If I close then reopen VS2010, the problem goes away

If I open Process Explorer and search for "subscriber", it is revealed that devenv.exe has the DDS_AwtecTypes_subscriber.dll file open, which is strange, because it never shows the other .dll file open.

The only time this becomes and issue is when I register or unregister the add in, is this a known problem? I don't understand why it would open one of the .dll files and not both.
Posted 09 Jun, 2011 11:38:49 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Вaniel,

I have a bunch of questions for you:
1. What Visual Studio version do you use? OS?
2. What version and build number of Add-in Express do you use?
3. Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in project? If so, could you please send it to me for testing?
Posted 10 Jun, 2011 04:27:30 Top
daniel sireci

Eugene,

1.Visual Studio : Visual Studio 2010, Ultimate
2.Add in Express : v603-b3052
3.Windows 7, 64 bit

After spending a fair amount of time yesterday researching this, it appears that this is a very common bug in Visual Studio, going as far back as 2003. Sadly, I was not able to reproduce the error with a test project.

However, this problem "goes away" when I changed the build to "Win32" and then reappears when I choose "x86" or "Any CPU". This is fine in my situation because my application is for 32 bit windows, no problem.

Thanks for the support!
Posted 10 Jun, 2011 09:55:54 Top
Eugene Astafiev

You are welcome, Daniel!
Posted 10 Jun, 2011 10:05:47 Top