Checkboxes in CommandBar at design time

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Checkboxes in CommandBar at design time

Esteban Astudillo

Sergey,

Do you have any sample using a checkbox in an Inspector Command Bar?

I know that you can add it programatically, but I'm wondering if there is a reason why checkboxes are not available in the wizard when adding them at design time.

Thanks!
Posted 10 Mar, 2006 17:00:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Esteban.

Actually we can't add checkboxes on command bars in Office app.
The problem is in MS Office object model. It doesn't allow to do it.
Posted 13 Mar, 2006 09:18:57 Top
Esteban Astudillo

Hi Sergey, thank you for your response

This is an interesting comment and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I do have a plug-in for Outlook 2003 that has a checkbox in an Inspector toolbar. I even have the source code and know how to do it.

So, I'm assuming you know this (that it is possible) and now I'm curious to know why you say that object model doesn't allow it. You didn't say ADX doesn't allow it, but MOM.

Would you elaborate a bit more on what exactly is not possible? Again, my whole goal with this question is to find out if there is something in ADX that will prevent me doing the same that this other plug-in. Or maybe it?Â?Ð?és just a bad idea altogether?

Thanks in advance
Posted 13 Mar, 2006 13:39:18 Top
Eugene Starostin

Hello Esteban,

In general, the checkbox can be added to an Explorer or Inspector toolbar. However, Add-in Express implements and will implement the base functionality provided by the Office Extensibility object model that allows us to add the following toolbar controls:
1. Your own buttons, edit and combo boxes, dropdown lists and pop-ups.
2. Any built-in controls (Id-based).

However #2 :-) In June, 2005 we announced an extension for Add-in Express that could add any .NET and VCL controls on any Office toolbars. It was my strategic mistake. I had announced it much earlier than it was really ready. There are a lot of pitfalls and problems when inserting a custom control to Office command bars. Different applications implement the command bar system in different ways. And we have faced all this. So, Sergey replied you correctly. The Office model doesn't allow to add a check box to a toolbar.

However #3. I'm sure that I will reannounce ADX Extensions for Office Toolbars within a month or two. Now we are about to complete it. :-)

However #4. Please don't ask us how it is released. We will show this as soon as this extension is published.

Thank you for your patience.

Eugene E. Starostin
---
ADX Team Leader
Posted 13 Mar, 2006 14:05:20 Top
Esteban Astudillo

I understand. Thank you for the clarification Eugene. Please keep me posted when you have something new in this area.

Thanks!
Posted 13 Mar, 2006 16:01:52 Top
Eugene Starostin

Esteban, thank you for your understanding.
Posted 13 Mar, 2006 16:03:54 Top