xlDefineBinaryName to store data withing Excel workbooks

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

xlDefineBinaryName to store data withing Excel workbooks

Andreas Lipphardt

Hi Andrei,

We own the Premium Editiond and have an important requirement , which I think cannot be done with current version of Add-In express:

We would need a c# way to call the XLL functions xlDefineBinaryName / xlGetBinaryName to store large data block withing Excel workbooks for ALL Excel versions. Note that you have to use xltypeBigData in XLOPER/XLOPER12.

This would be very usefull for ervybody who has the need to read / write .NET data in ALL Excel versions. Having this feature would just great.

I remeber that xlDefineBinaryName was available in a older version but it is not anymore.

What are your thoughts.

Andreas
Posted 13 Jan, 2011 10:13:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Andreas.

The DefineBinaryName function still available in the latest version of Add-in Express (see the ADXExcelWorksheetFunction enumeration). Also you can use the SetData, GetData methods of xllmodule to store specific data to a workbook. Note, because of to the bug in the current build of Excel 2010, the GetBinaryName (GetData) function may not work.
Posted 13 Jan, 2011 11:19:40 Top
Andreas Lipphardt

Sergey,

Thanks a lot for this tip.
Another question. How can I use a XLLModule from within a COM Addin?
It seems that I somehow need to industrialize it.

Thanks,

Anadreas
Posted 15 Jan, 2011 12:23:29 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Andreas,

Please have a look at the http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/03/24/addin-xll-rtd-one-assembly/ article on our technical blog.
Posted 17 Jan, 2011 05:38:54 Top