Event handling in appointment items

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Event handling in appointment items
how to handle events if the users changes a property of an appointment 
Thomas Guenther

Hi !

Add-In Express is a really great tool and saved us so much time in developing a COM-AddIn! :)

We are developing a COM-AddIn with add-in express .Net in C# where appointment-data created in outlook will be transfered to another application and processed there.

I have a little question on how to handle events if the user changes a property in an appointment window.

So if we change the starting date and time of an appointment, how can i handle the event (is it propertyChange ???) which occured ?

Which event will be fired ?
Can i use some of the ADX-events ?

We need this to refresh our external called application with the changed data.

I'am so lost in this event jungle....

Please help!

Thank you,
Thomas.
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 03:43:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Thomas.

Thank you for the good words about our product. Unfortunately you can't handle these events. But you can use the Outlook Items events to refresh the external app when an item is saved. Please download the latest ADX version. You will find some new examples in the installation package.
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 09:19:11 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey !

Thank you for your quick answer !

Hmm....that's really bad news...:(
I downloaded the new version today and after installing i found some examples in event handling for outlook. I played with them a bit but nothing did me really help...A good prospect seems to be the 'InspectorActivate' and 'InspectorDeactivate' Events. But saving the old values and every time to look if the values has changed when activating or deactivating the window becomes a nightmare.

I'am new to C#-and Outlook-programming so i don't know all the tricks.
Maybe i missed something...

So here a little more explanation what i'am trying to do;

I placed a button on the appointment window which opens a Winform. On the Winform i placed a WebBrowser-Control and feed it with the starting time, ending time, subject, body and participants.
So if the user changed one of these properties (e.g. remove a participant, set the starting and ending time one day to the future) the Winform should be refreshed automtically with the new values.

As i wrote before i'am new to c#-programming and maybe i'am thinking in wrong direction ?!

Thank you for every help i hopeful get in advance.
Thomas.
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 09:37:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thomas, MS Office has a very flexible Object Model, but it still has some limitations. I don't quite understand the benefits of doublicating the information. What do you need the form for?
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 10:19:53 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey !

We have developed a web application for booking rooms, working desks, catering, and so on.
Since many people are using Outlook today we decided to develop a plugin where people can invite other persons create an appointment and with a click on a button the data will be transfered to the web application.

The goal is to get data as starting time, ending time, body,.... from outlook into our web application and let the user made all other adjustments (location, the room, ...) within a separate window showing our web application.

There shouldn't be any custom outlook-forms.
The first idea was to develop a custom outlook-form hosting a webcontrol within a separate tab but as far as i know no events could be handled if the user activates a tab (this was the demand on this solution). So we decided to handle our web application in a separate WinForm.

Sorry if we are bothering you, Sergey....

Maybe the tab-solution isn't so bad we are thinking of....

Ciao,
Thomas.
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 10:46:28 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thomas, what about the Close event of the Appointment item?
You can show the form in the Close event handler in order to allow a user to change the data before it is transfered to the web application.
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 16:25:28 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey !

I managed to get the wanted behavior to work.
I used the 'InspectorDeactivate'-Event do update some data if needed and in the WinForm i used the 'Activated'-Event to do a refresh of our web application (if needed).

This works fine for me :)

Thanx for your help !!!

Ciao,
Thomas.
Posted 21 Feb, 2006 09:37:13 Top