Outlook freezes for about 2 mins on loading addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook freezes for about 2 mins on loading addin

Rakshith Shetty

Hi,
When outlook loads the addin ,it causes Outlook to freeze for about 2 minutes. There is no such code on startup which would cause such a delay. It is only on folderswitch I have various logic implemented.
Another importnat thing is, it only occurs in some machines. Not able to reproduce on my development machine or most other machines.
I added a few messageboxes fr om start to end in the startup code to trap wh ere the delay occurs. All messageboxes got executed immediately and then the delay occured.

Can you please let me know your thoughts or point me in the right direction.Many thanks.
Posted 02 Dec, 2010 11:26:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Rakshith,

Please check http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-tips.php#delays.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Dec, 2010 01:11:48 Top
Heinz-Josef Bomanns

Hi Rakshith,

also check out if there are any IMAP or Exchange Server accounts used - when Outlook starts it probably tries to reach those servers and if there are connection problems or servers not reachable it will take some time...
Posted 05 Dec, 2010 19:42:48 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Rakshith,

Did you find the cause of the issue?
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 03:54:31 Top
Rakshith Shetty

Hi Eugene, No luck yet. When I disable the addin, outlook opens imeediately. Its only when I enable the addin (no code in startup which could cause a delay.) it freezes for about 2 mins.
Please find below the start up code.

private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
ADXModule.Initialize(this, typeof(ADXModule));
}

private void adxOlFormsManager1_OnInitialize()
{
this.ExplorerBeforeFolderSwitch += new AddinExpress.VSTO.ADXOlExplorerBeforeFolderSwitch_EventHandler(ADXModule_ExplorerBeforeFolderSwitch);
try
{
Outlook.NameSpace ns = OutlookApp.GetNamespace("MAPI");
store = ns.DefaultStore;
mailboxFolder = store.GetRootFolder();

CreateFolders();

this.adxOlFormsCollectionItem1.FormClassName = "MyProj.adxfrmMyForm";

if (store != null) Marshal.ReleaseComObject(store);
if (ns != null) Marshal.ReleaseComObject(ns);
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
MessageBox.Show(ex.Message.ToString());
}
finally { }
}
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 05:27:06 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Rakshith,

Did you try to debug or just use debug statements in the code? Is it reproducible with a newly created add-in project?
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 05:36:19 Top
Rakshith Shetty

I am not able to reporduce this problem on the dev machine. In the dev machine ,Outlook opens without any delay regardless of wether I am connected to the network or not. This only occurs on some machines. I am now working on clients laptop and found something interesting actually:

The code I had posted earlier,if I comment out the folowing line then outlook opens without any delays.
// this.adxOlFormsCollectionItem1.FormClassName = "MyProj.adxfrmMyForm";

Does this mean that the on start up, this form is executed internally? I had thought that when Layout is WebViewPane , the form loads only when I click on the folder. Please note that I am OK if there is a delay when I click on the folder. I do not want the delay on Outlook startup.
Many thanks.
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 06:33:10 Top
Rakshith Shetty

Found this info from a earlier forum. Want to try this, but could not find the AddinStartupComplete event. Also could you please explain this :
disable the corresponding item(s) of the Items collection at design-time

Unfortunately, due to a bug in Outlook 2002 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305093), Add-in Express has to scan all Outlook folders in order to set and restore the WebViewUrl and WebViewOn properties. The first consequence is a delay at startup if the current profile contains thousands of folders. A simple way to prevent the delay is to disable the corresponding item(s) of the Items collection at design-time and enable it in the AddinStartupComplete event of the add-in module. Because PublicFolders usually contains many folders, Add-in Express doesn't allow using WebViewPane for PublicFolders and all folders below it. Outbox and Sync Issues and all folders below them aren't supported as well when using WebViewPane.

http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?PAGEN_1=2&FID=5&TID=6500#nav_start
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 09:10:16 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Rakshith,

Please have a look at the http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/office-2003-resource-kit/how-office-performs-certificate-revocation-HA001140308.aspx article. Is the Check for publisher's certificate revocation setting enabled on the problematic PC?
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 10:38:23 Top
Rakshith Shetty

Hi Eugene,
Have already unchecked "Publishers revocation" checkbox and tested, no luck. Also disabled antivirus. Cant get to the bottom of this. Client is furious and threatening to abandon this addin altogether.
Two points I want to make :
1)On the problematic PC there are quite a few public folders, could this be a problem?
2)When the exchange server is unavailable the delay on startup is huge. But when the addin is disabled , even though the exchange server is unavailable outlook opens without any delay. I am not able to figure this out? Could you please provide me with some solution as I am running out of options? Thanks.
Posted 06 Dec, 2010 11:19:10 Top