.Net 4 Client profile

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

.Net 4 Client profile
Dependency for System.Design 
RikardG

Hi,

I have an Outlook add-in project targeting the .Net 4 Client Profile. When I try to add an ADXOutlookFormsManager I get the following message:

"Type universe cannot resolve assembly: System.Design, Version 2.0.0.0..."

Could this dependency be removed to be able to support the Client Profile?
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 04:43:32 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Rikard,

No, it cannot be deleted. It looks like you need to install the full version of .net framework.
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 04:57:38 Top
RikardG

So your product doesn't support the .Net 4 Client version? Is that right?
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 05:03:18 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Rikard,

You are on the wrong avenue! Add-in Express does support .net framework 4.0 Client Profile. But the System.Design.dll library is used at design time in Visual Stduio (it is required for the Add-in Express designer routine). You can exclude this dll from the final release of your add-in project (setup project) if you don't use it explicitly.
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 05:21:53 Top
RikardG

Hi,

Is it only the Forms Manager Component that requires the System.Design assembly? I have no trouble at all adding for example "ribbon tab" controls targeting the Client Profile.
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 07:12:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Rikard,

When developing Windows forms (and Add-in Express custom panes descends from System.Windows.Forms.Form) you need to have the full .NET Framework version and that means you will have System.Design for sure. Moreover, I believe you cannot install Visual Studio if you have Client Profile installed; by uninstalling the full .NET Framework version, and installing Client Profile you create an environment that wasn't foreseen by our developers.

To test such an add-in I'd recommend installing it on a system with (or without) the corresponding Client Profuile installed.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 08:18:00 Top
RikardG

Hi,

I'm not talking about only having the client profile framework installed on my development machine. I have the full framework installed on my development machine. I'm talking about setting the project property "Target framework" to ".Net Framework Client Profile". When I do that and try to add the "Forms Manager Component" it demands a project reference to the System.Design dll. Why?

And I really don't understand what the Windows forms has to do with it? I have no problem working with windows forms in projects with the project setting ".Net Framework Client Profile".

Regards
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 08:31:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Rikard,

Oh, now I see. I was completely wrong. I've just tested that scenario in VS 2010 and reproduced the issue. It is now filed under #2130. The workaround is to add the Forms manager first and to re-target the add-in project then. Does this work for you?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 08:55:57 Top
RikardG

Hi,

I'm in the startup phase in our project and I'm not sure if I'm going to need the "Forms Manager Component" at all, I'm just evaluating different components in your product. But If I do as you suggest:

1) Create a project targeting the ".Net Framework 4"
2) Add the "Forms Manager Component"
3) Change the project setting to target the ".Net Framework Client Profile"
4) First I get the warning "Could not resolve assembly System.Design. The assembly is not in the currently targeted framework"
5) I remove the System.Design reference
6) When I try to open the designer view of the "AddinModule" I get the following error: "Type universe cannot resolve assembly: System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

As I said it's not urgent for me to solve this problem as I don't even know if I'm going to use the "Forms Manager Component", but I think it's good to know that the suggested work around does not work (at least not in my development environment).

Regards
Posted 01 Dec, 2010 01:13:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Rikard,

Thank you very much for pointing to this issue. We'll investigate it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Dec, 2010 01:28:36 Top