Error 'could not be converted to a type library.' while compiling

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Error 'could not be converted to a type library.' while compiling

Omer Herera

Hi,
We have the following problem:
We have installed in some machines the last version of add-inn express and it's working just fine, we try installing in another machine and we receive the following error:

Error 8 The assembly "C:\MyDLL\bin\Release\MyDLL.dll" could not be converted to a type library. Type library exporter encountered an error while processing 'MyDLLs.AddinModule, MyDLL'. Error: Referenced type is defined in managed component, which is imported from a type library that could not be loaded (type: 'Extensibility.IDTExtensibility2'; component: 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Extensibility\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Extensibility.dll'). MyDLL

Any Ideas, why this occurs?
Thanks in advanced.
Posted 29 Nov, 2010 07:24:44 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Omer,

Do you try to install your own add-in or Add-in Express?

In case of add-in you can try to generate a setup project anew. Does it help?
Posted 29 Nov, 2010 08:31:52 Top
Shirly Mintz

Hi,
It's also happens to me.
I am tring to install add-in express and use it for existing solution.
When I am trying to build the solution I recieve the same error.

Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Omer Herera wrote:
Error 8 The assembly "C:\MyDLL\bin\Release\MyDLL.dll" could not be converted to a type library. Type library exporter encountered an error while processing 'MyDLLs.AddinModule, MyDLL'. Error: Referenced type is defined in managed component, which is imported from a type library that could not be loaded (type: 'Extensibility.IDTExtensibility2'; component: 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Extensibility\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Extensibility.dll'). MyDLL
Posted 29 Nov, 2010 09:18:33 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Shirly,

What Visual Studio version do you use? Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in project?
Posted 29 Nov, 2010 09:28:46 Top
Shirly Mintz

Hi Eugene,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am using visual studio 2005 and the add-in express version is the newest standard version 2010.6.2.3051.
I have a friend at work that uses the some versions and doesn't have this problem.
I can try to reproduce this issue with a new project and let you know how it goes.
Posted 29 Nov, 2010 10:14:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Shirly,

Please let me know whether it works.
Posted 29 Nov, 2010 11:52:23 Top
Shirly Mintz

Hi Eugene,
It's also happing when I create a new solution from add-in experss templete.
The building process was successful but when I select: "register ADX project" I get this error:

The assembly "C:\VSprojects\MyAddin1\MyAddin1\bin\Debug\MyAddin1.dll" could not be converted to a type library. Type library exporter encountered an error while processing 'MyAddin1.AddinModule, MyAddin1'. Error: Referenced type is defined in managed component, which is imported from a type library that could not be loaded (type: 'Extensibility.IDTExtensibility2';component: 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Extensibility\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Extensibility.dll').

how can I solve this error?
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 09:11:55 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Shirly,

Please try re-installing Add-in Express. Does this help?

BTW What OS do you use?
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 09:32:37 Top
Shirly Mintz

I tried several times to re-install Add-in express.
Which version you recommend to install?
I am using windows XP.
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 09:35:56 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Shirly,

You can use any build of http://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php. If it doesn't help please try to repair Visual Studio. It looks like something wrong with your PC.
Posted 30 Nov, 2010 11:42:12 Top