Word 2003 crashes when Word is closed or when the document is closed and a task pane is visible

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Word 2003 crashes when Word is closed or when the document is closed and a task pane is visible

David R.

I have been having problems with Word so I created a new project using the ADX COM template.
- The project is set for C#
- The Office compatibility is set for version 2000 and greater
- On the AddIn designer page I added a Adx Word Task Pane Manager
- I added a Word Task Pane as a new item in the project
- Using the Adx Word Task Pane manager I added a new Task Pane item and set the class reference to the Word Task Pane, a text value for the Tag, and the position to Top
- I registered the project

Debugging the project, Word opens and the new task pane is visible but minimized. I then open a Word document using File/Open. When I close the document with either Shift-F4, or File/Close, or double click the control box to close Word itself the application crashes.

Some further testing shows that Word only crashes when the Task Pane Position is set. If the Position is set to Unknown, then Word starts without the task pane header being visible and documents can be open and closed without Word crashing.

I am using the latest version of AddIn Express, with VS 2005 and .Net 2.

Thanks
Posted 22 Oct, 2010 10:58:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

Could you tell me the exact build number of your Word? Please find it in Help | About.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Oct, 2010 11:59:31 Top
David R.

Here's the build version of MS Word 2003: 11.8328.8324 SP3

I would like to report that Word crashes only when a document is closed or the application itself is closed when running in debug from VS 2005.
Starting an instance of Word outside of VS 2005, documents can be open and closed without Word crashing, and of course the ADX task pane is still registered and is visible.
Posted 22 Oct, 2010 14:51:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the issue you described on my virtual PC with Word 2003.

What version and build number of Add-in Express do you use? Please make sure that you use the latest build of http://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php.
Posted 25 Oct, 2010 10:08:02 Top
David R.

Hi, as I wrote in my first comment I am using the latest version of Add-In Express. I just downloaded this file, adxnet-v602-b3050-vs-std, prior to creating this Word project.

By the way, are there any explicit detailed instructions on how to uninstall and remove all references to Add-In Express from a VS project as is stated in the README file that accompanies the setup package?

README: "If you are upgrading from the previous version of Add-in Express, please, uninstall your current version and remove all references of Add-in Express."
Posted 26 Oct, 2010 15:27:52 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

The latest build of http://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php is 6.2.3051. Please download it from our web site. Also please don't forget to replace the adxloader[64].dll in the Loader folder of your project with a new one (see the Redistributables folder).

You just need to uninstall the current version and then install a new one. That is all! We will try to make this statement in the readme.txt file clearer and more understandable.

BTW What OS do you use?
Posted 27 Oct, 2010 05:13:13 Top
David R.

Hi Eugene, I just noticed a new error in Word. The very simple Add-In COM object that I created for Word is still registered in Windows. I forgot to mention that this version of Word 2003 also has the compatibility pack for Office 2007+ documents installed to Windows. I just opened a Word 2007 document with Word 2003, and Word reported that wordconv.exe had crashed. However, Word 2003 was able to continue and load the document despite the error in wordconv.

Nonetheless I will uninstall Add-In Express and install the latest version. You might want to include in the instructions that after uninstalling Add-In Express, the replacement version should be installed to the exact same previous directory. I did not install the latest version to the same previous directory and it caused problems with the PostBuild event for the setup package, and a few other actions in the setup package.
Posted 27 Oct, 2010 08:56:55 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi David,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the issue even with compatibility pack installed for Office 2007+ documents. Also I didn't reproduce the second issue you described above. What OS do you use?
Posted 27 Oct, 2010 10:44:36 Top