ClickOnce and secman.dll

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ClickOnce and secman.dll

Martin Wawrusch

How can I deploy secman.dll using ClickOnce (VS2005) deployment? Any Ideas?

Kind regards,
Martin
Posted 16 Jan, 2006 04:38:51 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Martin.

I think the ClickOnce is not suitable solution for deployment of COM components. ClickOnce is focused on deploying presentation-tier Windows-based applications. It is not a replacement for Windows Installer (MSI) technology. As you know the deployment of COM components requires the privileged access to the local machine during the installation process. ClickOnce doesn't have mechanisms to changed the system registry, the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and so on.
Posted 16 Jan, 2006 18:12:01 Top
Martin Wawrusch

Sergey,
I did some digging and I think I came up with a solution: Clickonce supports bootstrapping, which basically can install everything (Including .Net, SQL Express..).

So, the idea is to create such a bootstrap prerequisite (VS2005 lingo) for secman.dll and simply mark it as a requirement for the ClickOnce application. I found some reference on MSDN how to create such a prerequisite. I'll post a message as soon as I got it working.
Posted 17 Jan, 2006 03:59:43 Top
Martin Wawrusch

It works. There is a good article on msdn that explains the steps. It takes about 10 minutes to get it up and running.

See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/10/Bootstrapper/

Posted 01 Feb, 2006 06:03:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Martin.

Thank you for the info.
Posted 01 Feb, 2006 10:38:00 Top