Accessing a Word Document from my Outlook Addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Accessing a Word Document from my Outlook Addin

DavidT543

Hi,

I have an Outlook add-in that is coming along nicely thanks to Addin express.

I need to access Word to open a word document and retrieve the email object of the document before using it in my addin. I have done this in VB6 in previous incarnations of my app, but now I want to do it in VB.net using Addin express - hopefully in a way which gives me neutrality of installed Word version. I don't need a word add-in (although if thats what I need to do then I will do that) as the user never needs to touch word. I'm just using word to create an email template programatically.

Is there a word object I could/should use.

My code was something like (i've removed error checking stuff):

Set oWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
If oWord Is Nothing Then Set oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
Set oWordDoc = oWord.Documents.Add(myFileName)
Set wItem = oWordDoc.MailEnvelope.Item
wItem.Save
myID = wItem.entryID
oWordDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
If blWeOpenedWord Then oWord.Quit
Set oWord = Nothing
Set oItem = ObjNS.GetItemFromID(wItem.entryID)
Posted 10 Sep, 2010 14:28:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

Note that Word.Document.MailEnvelope was introduced in Word 2002. Accordingly, that code will work in Word XP and subsequent Word versions. Because that property is missing in the version-neutral Word interop (which is an interop for Word 2000), you have two ways:
- use the primary interop for any Word version (2002-2010);
- use late binding, see System.Type.InvokeMember in MSDN; also there are many samples on this forum

I also recommend reading http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/03/16/interop-assemblies-late-binding/

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Sep, 2010 03:49:40 Top
DavidT543

Hi Andrei,

thank you for your response.

I haven't had to make a reference to Word at all yet. In fact my Add-in has no references to word at all. It is aimed purely at Outlook. I juts need to open word quickly, get the email envelope and close it again.

Where can I find the version-neutral Word interop so that I can make a reference to it? I can't find where Add-in Express keeps it. Or should I be setting a parameter in via the Add-in interface?

regards

David
Posted 13 Sep, 2010 11:46:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

If you use Add-in Express 2010, see Interop.Word.dll in {Add-in Express}\Redistributables\Interop Assemblies\VersionNeutral\ on your PC. In previous Add-in Express versions, that file is located in {Add-in Express}\Interop Assemblies\.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 13 Sep, 2010 11:57:24 Top
DavidT543

Hi Andrei,

thank you for your response. I love you guys. Your product support is absolutely the best I have experienced - quick and accurate. (and you can quote me on that)

I got this to work for me by making a reference to the Add-in express version neutral assembly (as you suggested), and then using the following code:

Dim oMEnv As Object = oWordDoc.GetType().InvokeMember("MailEnvelope", _ Reflection.BindingFlags.GetProperty, Nothing, oWordDoc, Nothing)
wItem = oMEnv.Item

The rest was almost the same as for VB6

Thanks for a great product and great support.

regards

David
Posted 13 Sep, 2010 12:52:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

David, thank you very much and dood luck with your project!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Sep, 2010 08:18:08 Top