XLL Add-in Module included in an ADX COM Add-in

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

XLL Add-in Module included in an ADX COM Add-in
is it possible to have user-defined functions in an ADX COM Add-in 
Mourad Mnif

Hello,

I have added an XLL Add-in Module to my ADX COM Add-in (as a new item to the Excel ribbon Add-in project) because I would like to have the user-defined functions in Excel in the same package as the ribbon when I deploy my solution to another machine.

I tried to set the "Build Action" property of the XLLmodule.vb as "Content" and the "Copy to Output Directory" as "Copy always". I deployed my solution to another machine, ran Excel but I could only see the ribbon. My new user-defined functions did not appear.

Is it possible to have an XLLmodule included in an ADX COM Add-in? If yes, what should I do?

Thanks for your help.
Mourad
Posted 28 Aug, 2010 13:26:52 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mourad,

Sure. Please make sure that you did all the steps described in the http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/03/24/addin-xll-rtd-one-assembly/ on our technical blog.

Also please don't forget to let me know whether it helps.
Posted 29 Aug, 2010 12:20:31 Top
Mourad Mnif

Sorry Eugene, the article was not clear for me. I tried to open the sample project but I could not figure out the changes to be done.
I forgot to mention that I am writing the code in VB.
Thanks for the support.
Mourad
Posted 30 Aug, 2010 04:52:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Mourad,

In fact, adding an XLL module to your project and registering the project once again is enough to debug the project on your PC. As to deploying it, if you use version 2010 of Add-in Express, I'd suggest that you re-create the setup project using the Create Setup Project item located in the context menu of your project in Solution Explorer.

Does this help?

Mourad Mnif wrote:
I tried to set the "Build Action" property of the XLLmodule.vb as "Content" and the "Copy to Output Directory" as "Copy always".

Those steps are unnecessary.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Aug, 2010 07:16:12 Top
Mourad Mnif

Hello Andrei
Thanks for the quick reply.
In fact I use ClickOnce to deploy my solution on another PC through "Publish ADX Project" under "Project" menu. This will create a folder called "Publish" in the main project directory, which I copy to the other machine. Then I run the file "myaddin.application" located in the copied "Publish" folder to install the addin on the machine.
I tried again using this method but it did not work. I can only see the ribbon (the main COM Add-in module) and none of the user-defined functions (XLL module) appear.
I use the 2010 version of both Add-in Express and Microsoft Visual Studio.
Mourad
Posted 30 Aug, 2010 08:36:25 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mourad.

Please provide me some information about the target PC.
1. What version of .NET Framework do you use to develop the add-in?
2. What version of .NET Framework is installed on the target PC?
3. What version of Office is installed on the PC? If it is 2010, what is the bitness of the Office (32 bits or 64 bits)?
Posted 31 Aug, 2010 09:53:43 Top
Mourad Mnif

Hello Sergey
1. I use .NET 4.0 Framework
2. The target PC has .NET 4.0 Framework as well
3. Both PCs have Office 2007

Thanks for your help and support!
Mourad
Posted 01 Sep, 2010 06:47:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mourad.

I can't reproduce the issue. Please create a test project and send it to the support e-mail. I will check it.
Posted 01 Sep, 2010 07:45:57 Top