A few other questions (Making and using the setup and the forum)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

A few other questions (Making and using the setup and the forum)

Alex van Amersfoort

Hello again,

1) I want to start the MSI-installer from another application (or batch file etc). I can start it with: msiexec FortunaOutlookAddinSetup.msi /quiet but how can I give in other parameters like the install directory?

2) Is it possible to customize the setup.exe? I want to add my own logo, show the version number etc.

3) Is it possible to subscribe myself to not the whole forum, but only my posts?

4) Is there any documentation about f.e. Q1 and Q2 and other technical aspects of the setup. I can not find a lot of info in teh documentation I have.

Kind regards,

Alex
Posted 25 Aug, 2010 05:40:13 Top
Alexander Solomenko

Hi Alex,

You can start the MSI-installer from other applications. Regarding other options like install directory, version number and etc. you can do in your setup project configuration (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2kt85ked.aspx)
Regards,
Aleksandr Solomenko
Posted 25 Aug, 2010 07:26:38 Top
Alex van Amersfoort

Thanks for that information. It helps a lot!

We found out how to give in the install directory through a parameter.

However, and I do not know if these are questions for this forum, I can not find how to display the version number to the user when running the setup.

I tried to add a new text box and f.e. give in the BodyText by variable like %Version% but that does not work.

Any suggestions?

Also another question. When I set the property "InstallAllUsersVisible" to True, it does not show during the setup and it does not help if I change the "InstallAllUsers" property in the Properties windows of the AddinSetup.

Regards,

Alex
Posted 25 Aug, 2010 08:28:50 Top
Alexander Solomenko

Hi Alex,

You can add and display the version number and other attributes, also logo images using the "User Interface" menu of your setup project (click Context menu View -> User Interface).
Then you will easily see what to do.

The InstallAllUsers property will not show in during the Setup, it only effects the setup process.
Regards,
Aleksandr Solomenko
Posted 26 Aug, 2010 06:47:48 Top
Alex van Amersfoort

Hi Alexander,

Ok, it's clear about the InstallAllUsers property. So I understand that it is not possible to give users the possibility to choose during the setup whether or not to install for the current user or all.

I'm sorry about the display of the version number but I really can not find it.

In VSTO2005, I select my setup under the 'Solution' that I made in ADX2010. Than I go to "View" --> "Editor" --> "User Interface". There I get the "User Interface" screen with "Install" and "Administrative Install" and the different screens I can show under "Start", "Progress" and "End". I have added a new form under the "Start" screens, and also tried to add the version number on the "Welcome" dialog, but I can not find out how. If I select the properties of the "Welcome" dialog, I get "BannerBitmap", "CopyrightWarning" and "WelcomeText", and when I select the properties of the "Textboxes ©" dialog I get "BannerText", "BodyText" and the edit labels, but I do not see where and how I can show the version number anywhere there.

I tried to add a new text box and f.e. give in the BodyText by variable like %Version% but that does not work.

Hopefully you can explain to me where I can add the data.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Alex
Posted 30 Aug, 2010 08:15:37 Top
Alex van Amersfoort

Hi Alexander,

I found out that IT IS possible to let the user choose during the installation whether or not to install for all users. (I did it by removing the PostBuildEvent).

This leads me to another question:

I also want to run the msi-package from another installation using command lines. How do I make it that it installs one time for all users and the next for only the current?

Can I do something like this:

msiexec /i C:\MySetup.msi RegisterForAllUsers=True
msiexec /i C:\MySetup..msi InstallAllUsers=True

and

msiexec /i C:\MySetup..msi RegisterForAllUsers=False
msiexec /i C:\MySetup..msi InstallAllUsers=False
Posted 31 Aug, 2010 04:57:39 Top
Alexander Solomenko

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately, it is impossible to control the RegisterForAllUsers property value in the current ADX setup version. It is a feature for the next releases.

As for "Welcome dialog", you can put the version number in WelcomeText parameter.
Regards,
Aleksandr Solomenko
Posted 31 Aug, 2010 09:15:50 Top
Alex van Amersfoort

Hi Alexander,

I am sorry but still no luck on the version number.

I understand that I can type the version number everytime manually in the Welcome text parameter like:

The installer will guide you through the steps required to install [ProductName] 69.69 on your computer.

but what I want is to use a variable so I don't have to change it all the time, like:
The installer will guide you through the steps required to install [ProductName] [VersionNumber] on your computer.

Can you tell me if it is possible to add the version number the same way as the [ProductName] and which variable I have to use for it (and other data)?

I really hope you can help me...

Regards,

Alex
Posted 31 Aug, 2010 09:40:26 Top
Alexander Solomenko

Hi Alex,

Even if you use the macros [VersionNumber] you will still have to initialize it somewhere.
You can make post processing of the msi project you get using the MSI utilities (see MSI SDK).
Regards,
Aleksandr Solomenko
Posted 31 Aug, 2010 10:07:12 Top
Alex van Amersfoort

Ok....if just [VersionNumber] will not work, I will type it manually.

Maybe something for the next version to make simple data like that possible? The version number is known in the properties of the AddinSetup and the Assembly info so I suppose it should be possible to easily show the variable during the setup. It would make it a lot more user friendly!

Thanks for so far!

Regards,

Alex
Posted 31 Aug, 2010 10:19:28 Top