Windows Keyboard Events Not Being Sent to Custom ADXOlForm

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Windows Keyboard Events Not Being Sent to Custom ADXOlForm

Corey

Hi,

We have an Addin for Outlook 2007. We have a custom form that can be opened that derives from AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlForm. We have a grid control on this form that is intended to have specific functionality for when the Escape key is being pressed while in the grid. My problem is that the Escape key message is never getting sent to the grid or the form that it is on. It appears that Outlook or AddIn Express is trapping the Escape key? If I override WndProc in the form or grid, I can confirm that the key message is not being received. I also attempted to implement IMessageFilter on the form/grid and I cannot get ANY messages to come through the PreFilterMessage method.

I have also tried to use the OnKeyDown event in the ADXModule. I do this by setting HandleShortcuts to true and subscribing to the event both inside of my ThisAddin_Startup method. I cannot get the OnKeyDown to fire for any keystrokes.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here. How can I get the Escape key event sent to my grid?

Thanks,
~Corey
Posted 17 Aug, 2010 11:23:45 Top
Alexander Solomenko

Dear Corey,

This kind of problem exists. One of the ways to solve it can negatively effect the functioning of other controls. Unfortunately, to find a good solution for this issue we will need plenty of time for testing. We put it into our Bug Tracking System to fix by the next release (September - October 2010).

BTW,
If I override WndProc in the form or grid, I can confirm that the key message is not being received. I also attempted to implement IMessageFilter on the form/grid and I cannot get ANY messages to come through the PreFilterMessage method.

I am afraid it's a useless thing to do.
Only with the help of Keyboard Hook you can see this key message. Outlook process catches this message before the focused window receives it.
Regards,
Aleksandr Solomenko
Posted 18 Aug, 2010 08:49:29 Top
Corey

Alexander,

Thanks for the reply. Please let us know what you find and when/if this gets resolved.

~Corey
Posted 18 Aug, 2010 09:16:56 Top
J?rg B.

Aleksandr,

does this behavior also exist in the Word environment? What I want to do is e.g. add a dropdown control within a word add-in and if the focus is within this dropdown (navigating up/down with the keyboard), users should also able to press escape and close the dropdown...

Best,
-J?rg
Posted 19 Aug, 2010 04:52:21 Top
Alexander Solomenko

Hi J?rg,

I have tested Word Addin with AdxWordTaskPane which has Combobox(Dropdown) control. It works fine.
Regards,
Aleksandr Solomenko
Posted 19 Aug, 2010 06:06:12 Top