Visual Studio Express and XLL add-ins

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Visual Studio Express and XLL add-ins
Unable to register an xll add-in when using Visual Studio Express 
Doug Jenkins

I recently installed Visual Studio Express 2010 with VB.net and Add-in Express and for my first project I tried an xll add-in. The final stage of the instructions is to build and resister the project, but there was no option to register available.

I then installed a trial version of Visual Studio Pro, and un-installed and reinstalled Add-in Express, and the register option is now available.

Is it possible to create Excell xll add-ins with Visual Studio Express and Add-in Express, or is a higher version of Visual Studio required?
Posted 01 Aug, 2010 07:47:36 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Doug,

Yes, it is. Please have a look at the context menu of xll module designer. It should contain the Register ADX project item.
Posted 02 Aug, 2010 06:47:15 Top
Doug Jenkins

Hi Eugene

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem to answer my question.

If I open my project in Visual Studio Pro and right click on the Solution name in the Solution Explorer Window I get an option to "Register ADX Project", but if I open it in Visual Studio Express this option does not appear.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "context menu of xll module designer", but if I right click on the window headed "XLLModule.VB(Design)" I don't get the "Register ADX Project" option in either version of Visula Studio.
Posted 02 Aug, 2010 19:27:34 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Doug,

I have created a screenshot for you:
User added an image
Posted 03 Aug, 2010 05:44:27 Top
Doug Jenkins

OK, I don't get that, with either version of Visual Studio.

I'm using VB.net rather than C#, could that have anything to do with it.

Any other ideas?
Posted 03 Aug, 2010 08:00:52 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Doug,

I have just checked out Visual Studio 2010 Express (Visual Basic edition) and have got the same context menu items as shown on the screenshot.

Could you organize a remote session? I will try to investigate the cause of the issue.
Posted 03 Aug, 2010 08:31:58 Top
Doug Jenkins

Eugene - I won't have time today. I will get back in touch when I have time, or if I manage to resolve the issue myself.
Posted 03 Aug, 2010 16:42:15 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Doug,

Please keep me informed.
Posted 04 Aug, 2010 04:07:02 Top