add custom actions to build-in smart tags

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

add custom actions to build-in smart tags
e.g. Person Name (English) 
Mimi Yang

Is possible to do it with ADX smart tag?

Also in the outlook 2010, smart tag seems replaced by Actions in the proofing options. Will previous adx smart tag still working the same?

Thanks a lot.
Posted 14 May, 2010 16:14:49 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Mimi,

Sorry, I don't quite understand you. Could you take a screenshot?
Posted 15 May, 2010 05:59:49 Top
Mimi Yang

there is 2 questions here.
1. There are a few build in smart tag with Word, one is Person Name (English). Is that possible to add some custom actions to this smart tag?

2. Smart tag changed in 2010
Text is no longer automatically recognized by a smart tag recognizer and will no longer display a purple dotted underline. Instead, users will be able to trigger recognition and view custom actions associated with text by selecting the text and clicking the Additional actions on the context menu. Once the user has moved the IP outside the current paragraph, the text tagging will be cleared for that paragraph. There are changes to the object model to reflect that text marked by a smart tag recognizer will not be stored in the document.

What will the exisitng smart tag do?
Posted 17 May, 2010 11:36:42 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mimi,

Could you take a screenshot?
Posted 18 May, 2010 04:04:48 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for providing me with a screenshot. Please have a look at the following http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178786.aspx. It states:

Smart tags are deprecated in Excel 2010 and Word 2010. Although you can still use the related APIs in projects for Excel 2010 and Word 2010, these applications do not automatically recognize terms, and recognized terms are no longer underlined. Users must trigger recognition and view custom actions associated with text by right-clicking the text and clicking the Additional Actions on the context menu. For more information about this change in Word 2010, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=178847.
Posted 20 May, 2010 01:12:39 Top
T Rolle

Hi,

I don't understand the above quote. What does it mean "these applications do not automatically recognize terms?" In my ADX app, a smarttag is automatically loaded and would be theoretically shown (checked) in the AutoCorrect/SmartTags tab in Word 2010 during app startup. I don't have Word 2010 installed yet so I haven't tried it yet but since the smarttag is loaded and the label smart tag box is checked, both automatically, wouldn't the relevant text be automatically recognized? A user wouldn't need to trigger recognition by right-clicking. Is that true?
Posted 07 Jun, 2010 01:07:53 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Tonio,

1. Nope, in Word 2010 the text is not automatically recognized.
2. Yes, it is true. You need to do the right click.
Posted 07 Jun, 2010 04:24:57 Top
T Rolle

Thanks Eugene. I guess as a workaround, since we know the start and end positions of a smart tag, we could programmatically right-click the text and somehow highlight the text. Do you think that's possible?
Posted 07 Jun, 2010 06:22:04 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Tonio,

Didn't try to do that. I am a sober pessimist about that.
Posted 07 Jun, 2010 06:36:22 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Tonio,

You can use say Word.Range.Select, Word.Range.HighlightColorIndex or Word.Range.Underline to highlight a range of text. But how do you find the text the smart has recognized? I can imagine an assembly containing a COM add-in plus a smart tag and the smart tag calling a public method of the COM add-in to highlight the text. But they state your smart tag requires extra user actions in order to recognize the text in word 2010 and this means your smart tag will never be invoked in practice. Am I missing something?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Jun, 2010 09:10:08 Top