using adxCommandBarDropDownList + Word as e-mail editor + Outlook 2003 - Problem

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

using adxCommandBarDropDownList + Word as e-mail editor + Outlook 2003 - Problem

Denis Pivnenko

Hi!
I need to create adxCommandBarPopup with adxCommandBarDropDownList's in adxInspectorCommandBar. It works fine for HTML-editor as e-mail-editor, but in mode when Word is e-mail editor, my Popup doesn't show DropDownLists. Is it a bag?

That's why I'm trying to use ADXCommandBarAdvancedControl with standard .Net menustrip with comboboxes, but I have the same problem. Menu doesn't appear. May be somebody can help, what to do. I really need dropdownlists working well in WORD-editor mode.

Thanks in advance,
Denis
Posted 26 Apr, 2010 06:03:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Denis,

This is a "feature" of WordMail. You can study the following sample project that bypasses that feature by hiding Outlook command bars in Word and Word command bars in Outlook, see http://www.add-in-express.com/files/projects_pub/hidewdandolcommandbars.zip.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 26 Apr, 2010 09:17:14 Top
Denis Pivnenko

Big Thanks, Andrei!
Posted 26 Apr, 2010 09:54:22 Top
Denis Pivnenko

I've registered the project and in the moment of opening new Inspector with Word as e-mail editor, I've got next error:

The loader can't load the following assembly:
'HideWordAndOutlookCommandBars, PublicKeyToken=BF778A9A205B2B1C'. The operation fails with HRESULT = -2146232576'.

How to fix this issue?

Note:

1. When I've opened the project, I've converted it for Visual Studio 2008.
2. AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll was not loaded to References right, that's why I've deleted it and added another one with the same name from Add-in Express 2009 for Office and .NET, Standard package. Then project rebuilded well.

Thanks in advance,
Denis
Posted 26 Apr, 2010 10:30:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Denis,

Try replacing Loader\adxloader.dll in that project with {Add-in Express}\Redistributables\adxloader.dll and re-registering the project.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Apr, 2010 12:19:41 Top
Denis Pivnenko

Thanks! It works.
Posted 27 Apr, 2010 03:02:49 Top
Denis Pivnenko

This is a "feature" of WordMail. You can study the following sample project that bypasses that feature by hiding Outlook command bars in Word and Word command bars in Outlook, see http://www.add-in-express.com/files/projects_pub/hidewdandolcommandbars.zip.

I need to show my toolbar in Outlook Inspector in case, when Word is e-mail editor. It doesn't displays in this case. In case with HTML editor as e-mail editor everything ok. I've research given by you project and got that, there are imlemented two cases: for Microsoft Outlook and for Microsoft Word. Which one from them I need to implement in my Outlook project?

I have four components on the main Add-in module in your project: adxWdCommandBar, adxOlInspectorCommandBar1, adxWordEvents, adxOutlookEvents. Can I remove adxWdCommandBar and adxWordEvents for implementing functionality described above for Outlook?

How hiding of command bars is connected with my case, when I want properly display my Command Bar in Inspector, when Word is e-mail editor?

--
Thanks in advance,
Denis
Posted 27 Apr, 2010 05:35:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Denis,

If Word is set as the default e-mail editor in Outlook 2003 and earlier, Outlook starts a new (or use an existing) Word process when you create a new e-mail. The Word process is a normal Word process in all respects including command bars. The issue occurs because Outlook allows customizing Word command bars in this case. This is why showing an Outlook inspector command bar makes it also visible in Word. The workaround suggested by this sample is to support both Word and Outlook in your add-in:
- you use windowActivate to hide Outlook inspector command bars when the add-in is loaded by Word and...
- you use InspectorActivate to hide Word command bars when the add-in is loaded by Outlook

Does this help?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Apr, 2010 11:59:44 Top
Denis Pivnenko

Hi, Andrei,

As I got I have to leave in my project for Outlook 2003 and earlier versions both command bars for Outlook and Word. And then work in direction to display only required toolbar in Outlook Inspector(Word editor mode).

If I've understood right, big thanks for help, Andrei.

--
Best regards,
Denis
Posted 28 Apr, 2010 05:37:36 Top
Denis Pivnenko

I've implemented working with both toolbars(for Outlook and Word) in my project. Now I have next issue: toolbar appears in inspector of Outlook 2003 and here everything is ok, but disappears in 2000 and 2002 versions.

With what it can be connected?

--
Thanks in advance,
Denis
Posted 29 Apr, 2010 04:25:24 Top