Strange CommandBar Upgrade behavior

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Strange CommandBar Upgrade behavior

SonomaJack

I have an application that in an earlier version I had a toolbar that was 2 commandBarButtons on a single commandBar.
CommandBar1
|
CButton1 , CButton2

In a later revision I added functionality and reorganized the commandbar to be: 1 CommandBarButton, and 1 Popup, then on the pop-up there are 4 buttons. 2 of the buttons on the pop-up were the 2 original buttons on the 2 button command bar.

CommandBar1
|
CButton3 CPopUp1
|
CButton1, CButton2, CButton4, CButton5

After upgrading the project (running ADXLoader::Unregister and Register) I now have a toolbar that is has 3 buttons on the toolbar (the original 2 buttons and one of the one) and one pop-up with the 2 buttons.
CommandBar1
|
CButton1, CButton2 CButton3 CPopUp1
X |
X CButton4, CButton5

However, if I uninstall then reinstall it shows up correct.

Any ideas why it would do this? Do I need to change the controlTag for the buttons that were there before?

JB
Posted 17 Apr, 2010 12:09:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi JB,

Are the command bar and controls temporary or not? What is the host application of your add-in?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Apr, 2010 04:37:50 Top
SonomaJack

Andrei,

Thanks for your reply.

The commandbar and all controls are set to temporary - false and the host application is Outlook.

Thanks.
Posted 19 Apr, 2010 08:47:32 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi JB,

Are you sure that Outlook is missing in the Task Manager window after you uninstalled your first add-in?

BTW, what Outlook version is it?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Apr, 2010 10:36:44 Top
SonomaJack

It is Outlook 2007 and yes Outlook was gone from the task manager.

Not sure if this is relelated or a different question/issue. When I just ran an update to test what you asked the update finished successfully, however, when I restarted Outlook after the installation finished it start up an installer to finsh configuring the add-in. The thing is that the installer needed Outlook to be closed so I had to kill Outlook for the installer to finish. Not sure if that makes sense, so I will list the steps below.
1) Install an update to the Add-in, which completes successfully
2) Start Outlook
3) As Outlook starts an installer window pops up to conplete the installation
4) A message pops up telling me that the installer cannot finish with Outlook running (OK is the only option on the dialog)
5) At this point I am stuck - must kill the Outlook process to get out of the loop.

JB
Posted 19 Apr, 2010 20:26:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi JB.

Add-in Express doesn't uninstall controls from Outlook. Please set the Temporary property of your command bar to true.
It should fix the issue. Also Add-in Express doesn't support the update functionality in the automatically created setup project. You need to uninstall the add-in completely and install it again.
Posted 20 Apr, 2010 09:47:19 Top
SonomaJack

That worked on both items!

Thanks!
Posted 21 Apr, 2010 20:30:37 Top