"LoaderLock" error

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

"LoaderLock" error

Brad Smith

ADX.NET under VS.NET 2005 with a C# stub add-in (with Shim) running against Outlook 2000 (SP3).

When I launch Outlook and then exit (without doing anything), I'll often get two MDA errors pop up with the following message:

red

Many other times, Outlook will indeed hang (it'll stick with the "Please wait for Outlook to exit" message).
Once in a while, it won't hang and I won't get the message, which makes narrowing things down much more painful than I'd like.

I've removed pretty much *all* of my code, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is either in the Shim code (which I haven't touched), or in ADX.NET itself. Unfortunately, the MDA doesn't give me any additional info to help isolate. All I can tell you is that it pops up after the last of my event handlers (all of which are empty) has completed.

I don't see this on my OL2003 machine (I was going great until I started testing under OL2000, which is the critical goal of the entire exercise).

Has anybody seen this? Any tips on how I might troubleshoot further? I can supply the offending stub project easily enough. Tomorrow I'm going to rip even more stuff out.

Brad.
Posted 24 Nov, 2005 17:43:24 Top
Brad Smith

I installed ADX.NET on my OL2000 box and built a simple stub add-in following the standard tutorial. The stub does nothing. While I don't get the LoaderLock error (yet), it hangs Outlook on shutdown every time. Obviously an important object isn't being released.

Brad.
Posted 25 Nov, 2005 09:51:15 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Brad.

I have never got this error message before but I will test ADX in Outlook 2000 again. I will reply you soon.
Posted 25 Nov, 2005 14:03:06 Top
Brad Smith

If it helps, I built a new stub without the Shim. All I did was run the new Add-In wizard (C#, no shim, strong names), change the one property to support Outlook, build, Register and run OL from within the debugger. I then choose Exit from OL2000, and get stuck at the "please wait..." message. This happens 100% of the time with this test stub.

I'm poking at a few other things, and if I come up with any useful clues I'll let you know.

Oh, and this particular OL2000 install has no other add-ins running, or are there any virus scanners or anything in play (this is a test box).

Brad.
Posted 25 Nov, 2005 14:42:20 Top
Brad Smith

Argh! I think I got bit by the OL2000 bug described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834005 while switching accounts around. When it got to the point where uninstalling all add-ins entirely and it *still* wouldn't exit, I began to get suspicious.

Anyway, I've nuked & reinstalled Office 2000 from scratch, and applied all service packs. Then my basic stubs worked fine. My "main" test project still won't exit Outlook when run under the VS.NET debugger, but does when run outside the debugger. I'm willing to believe that's a debuger->OL2000 issue that I'm not going to lose sleep over. I have not seen the LoaderLock error since rebuilding the machine.

For now, unless you find something interesting on your end, don't waste any more time on this. I'm going to slowly re-add my custom bits to my add-in and see if I can break it again.

Gad, I *so* hate that I have to support OL2000 still. What a piece of cr*p. :-|

Brad.
Posted 25 Nov, 2005 16:30:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Brad.

I also have news related to this issue. I have just sent you an email.
Please check your inbox.
Posted 28 Nov, 2005 06:43:07 Top