Multiple User Installs

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Multiple User Installs
In a multiple user install, other users cannot use the addin 
Shawn Hickey

I'm using your addin with a Windows Installer MSI. If the user selects to install "For Everyone" in the installer, the addin should be installed on all user accounts on the computer

What actually happens is that anyone who uses a user account that did not run the original installer encounters the following error. The windows installer tries to run the installer again for that user, but errors out when the user deos not have the permission to access the custom action's InstallState file.

I've tried giving all users access to the InstallState file, but then it gives a similar error when it tries to access the addin's registry key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

I am setting the "RegisterForAllUsers" property of the module to true in the module's constructor.
Posted 09 Nov, 2005 16:31:23 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Shawn.

The fact is that all add-ins can be installed only by the user that has the administative privileges (i.e a user should be part of the Administrators group on the PC).

I am setting the "RegisterForAllUsers" property of the module to true in the module's constructor.

Yes, correct. This property makes the add-in available for all users on a PC after the add-in is installed by the administrator.
Posted 10 Nov, 2005 08:01:18 Top
Shawn Hickey

Sergey,

Thanks for the reply. The administrative user is the one installing the software. The problem is that non-administrative users cannot use the addin (or any other part of our program) after the administrator installs the addin for every user on the computer.

I've done some farther testing, and I believe it's directy related to the custom action. I call your custom action in my installer, because one of the things I install is an addin module. Later, when a non-admin user tries to use the application, a windows installer dialog pops up, and throws an error because it cannot access the InstallState files from your custom action.

If I don't run your custom action, there is no error. The installer window that pops up for the users completes successfully and the program runs (without the addin of course...)

Posted 10 Nov, 2005 12:27:16 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Shawn, are you speaking about Add-in Express for VS 2003 or VS 2005?
Posted 11 Nov, 2005 06:28:25 Top
Shawn Hickey

I'm using VS 2003 with .NET 1.1
Posted 11 Nov, 2005 12:32:24 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Shawn.

I have an idea how to fix this issue. I will send you a solution by email soon.
Posted 14 Nov, 2005 12:16:28 Top
Shawn Hickey

Sergey,

I still have not received an e-mail from you. There have been a few minor issues with my e-mail. If you already sent me an e-mail, could you please re-send it?

Thanks
Shawn
Posted 15 Nov, 2005 17:13:01 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Shawn.

Yes, I sent you an email on Monday. Anyway I will resend it one more time tonight.
Posted 16 Nov, 2005 06:57:10 Top