"Word has encountered an issue and must close" issue with ADXTaskPane

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

"Word has encountered an issue and must close" issue with ADXTaskPane

Bryan

We are creating a custom task pane project for Word 2007 (ADXTaskPane, not ADXWordTaskPane). Under certain scenarios, we are getting the nasty "Word has encountered an issue and must close" error when attempting to close documents. This issue appears to be related to the use of custom task panes, b/c if we remove the CTP fr om the project then we no longer get this issue.

Thinking this issue was related to our code, we created a new blank ADX project and added just a ADXTaskPane. However, using this simple project, we can still reproduce this issue.

This error seems somewhat random, but we have isolated a scenario wh ere we can always reproduce it. The steps are listed below. I can send you a copy of an ADX project that can be used to reproduce this issue if needed.

1. Create a new ADX project. We are creating an ADX COM Addin, using ADX Loader, not creating a set-up project. We are targeting only Word 2007 and adding the PIAs to the project.

2. Once the project is created, add a new user control (UserControl1).

3. Add UserControl1 as an ADXTaskPane to the project.

Compile the project and register the add-in. Follow these steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Launch Word 2007. This is Document1. The task pane is displayed.

2. Click the "New Document" icon. This is Document2. The task pane is displayed.

3. Click the "New Document" icon. This is Document3. The task pane is displayed.

4. Go back to Document1, click the View tab, click the "New Window" button. This is Document 1:2. The task pane is displayed.

5. Go back to Document2, click the View tab, click the "New Window" button. This is Document 2:2. The task pane is displayed.

6. Go back to Document3, click the View tab, click the "New Window" button. This is Document 3:2. The task pane is displayed.

7. Start closing the documents in this order: Document 1:1, Document 2:1, Document 3:1, Document 1 (which was previously Document 1:2), Document 2 (which was previously Document 2:2), Document 3 (which was previously Document 3:2).

8. Upon closing one of the last 3 documents you will get the nasty "Word has encountered an issue and must close" error.

Using the steps above, we can always reproduce this issue. As mentioned, we've seen this issue a few other times too.

FYI, in past non-ADX add-in projects when we've seen this issue it's been related to our add-in project still maintaining a reference to the Word application window when Word is closing (i.e., we were not properly releasing the handle via NativeWindow.ReleaseHandle()).

Please let me know what you find.
Posted 10 Jan, 2010 20:02:58 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Bryan,

I have reproduced the issue you described. Thank you for pointing this to us.

I will let you know as soon as we fix it.
Posted 11 Jan, 2010 06:50:46 Top
Bryan

Thank you for the reply Eugene. Please let me know when this issue will be addressed and whether it will be a patch on ADX 2009 or part of a future release (ADX 2010).

We are evaluating your product and like it so far, but this issue concerns us. Even occassional random Word crashes won't sit well with our customers.

Thanks!
Posted 11 Jan, 2010 08:06:28 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Bryan,

Please let me know when this issue will be addressed and whether it will be a patch on ADX 2009 or part of a future release (ADX 2010).

I think that both versions of Add-in Express will include the patch.

We are evaluating your product and like it so far, but this issue concerns us. Even occassional random Word crashes won't sit well with our customers.

Please try using the ADXWordTaskPane instead. Why don't you use them?
Posted 11 Jan, 2010 10:14:38 Top
Bryan

Eugene Astafiev writes:
I think that both versions of Add-in Express will include the patch.

Any idea when this ADX 2009 patch will be made available?

Eugene Astafiev writes:
Please try using the ADXWordTaskPane instead. Why don't you use them?

Our add-in is only targeting Word 2007/2010. Thus, we want to rely on the native custom pane functionality built into Office 2007/2010 (e.g., ICustomTaskPaneConsumer) rather than ADXWordTaskPane. This will make our solution more portable in the future should we decide to move away from ADX someday.
Posted 11 Jan, 2010 12:10:21 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Bryan.

We will fix it during this week. Please wait a little.
Posted 12 Jan, 2010 12:02:05 Top
Bryan

No problem and no rush ... I just wanted to ensure that it would be addressed sometime within the next month or so.

Thanks!
Posted 12 Jan, 2010 13:20:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thank you for your feedback. It is very important for us.
Posted 13 Jan, 2010 07:30:17 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Bryan.

We fixed the issue. Eugene will send you a link for download soon.
Posted 18 Jan, 2010 10:21:22 Top
Heinz-Josef Bomanns

Sergey Grischenko writes:
We fixed the issue

We created a project a while back with ADX 2008, v4.4 (i guess) and just updated to ADX 2009, v5.2 - i have a similar problem: It's a project with an ADXWordTaskPane and when closing the last document, Word hangs and needs to be closed. Probably i have to update older adxloader.dll in my project directories or are they version-independent? If i have to update them, how do i do that exactly? Thanks...

PS:Tested with 2003 and 2007 - and this happens if i load only one document and click on he 'X' of the document window or the application window. If i load two or more docs and click several times on the 'X' either in doc or app window, this problem does not occur?
Posted 01 Feb, 2010 01:09:12 Top