Get outlook profile name programatically

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Get outlook profile name programatically

Manoj Jha

I'm trying to figure out how to programatically get the string name of the current outlook profile Name from within a C# Add-in-express addin.

Using Outlook spy I am able to find its under Application - Session - CurrentProfileName .But how to implement it using addin express
Posted 10 Nov, 2009 03:35:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Manoj,

You can use the OutlookProfileName property of the add-in module; it was introduced in version 5.2 of Add-in Express. Also, you can use Namespace.CurrentProfileName in Outlook 2007. Since you don't see it, I suppose you use version-neutral interops, which, in case of Outlook, are interops for Outlook 2000. To bypass this, you can use late binding (see System.Type.InvokeMember).

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Nov, 2009 03:56:06 Top
Manoj Jha

Thanks for your feedback.I am able to get Current Profile Name using System.Type.InvokeMember

Code snippet is as below:

Outlook.NameSpace objNS = null;
Outlook.Application objApplication = null;
try
{

objApplication = new Outlook.Application();
objNS = objApplication.GetNamespace("MAPI");
Object CurrentProfileName = objNS.GetType().InvokeMember("CurrentProfileName", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.GetProperty, null, objNS, null);
String strCurrentProfileName = CurrentProfileName.ToString();
MessageBox.Show(strCurrentProfileName,"Current Profile Name");
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString());
}
finally
{
if (objNS != null)
Marshal.ReleaseComObject(objNS);
if (objApplication != null)
Marshal.ReleaseComObject(objApplication);
} :D
Posted 10 Nov, 2009 05:16:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Manoj,

Instead of creating a new Outlook.Application, you need to use the OutlookApp property of the add-in module. The use of an Outlook.Application created in this way will produce security warnings when accessing certain properties or methods on a PC that doesn't have a properly updated antivirus software.

Also, I'd check Outlook version instead of using try/catch but this is a matter of taste.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Nov, 2009 08:59:56 Top