XLL function descriptors

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

XLL function descriptors
Can XLL function descriptors be defined outside View Designer? 
Heiko Sunev

Hi.
Question: Is it possible to define XLL function descriptors without using the View Designer, directly in the XLL module code page, and prevent the next Rebuild to overwrite these manually defined function descriptors?
In other words: If I don't use the View Designer, so that the XLL module section "Component Designer generated code" remains blank for function descriptors, how and where in the XLL module can I insert my own code lines for function descriptors?

Motivation:
In an XLL module, the "View Designer" allows to define function descriptors and parameters using a list control. The resulting code for the function descriptors is automatically inserted into the XLL module section "Component Designer generated code".
While the View Designer is a great tool if one has to deal with a few XLL functions, it takes much time if the XLL add-in contains a hundred similar functions with 4 or 6 parameters each, because Copy and Paste is not possible in the View Designers list control; each function and each parameter has to be typed in manually. I'm also looking for a way to copy functions from an existing XLL module and insert them into a new XLL project. However, the function descriptors cannot be copied and pasted this way, only the Public Shared Functions themselves.

thx
Posted 03 Nov, 2009 05:01:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Heiko,

I've just created a category + function descriptor pair, modified InitializeComponent creating another category + function descriptor pair, opened the designer of the XLL module, found the new category, and re-build the project. Is this what you are trying to do?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Nov, 2009 06:22:48 Top