new version of Addin but no change to Menubar has been applied

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

new version of Addin but no change to Menubar has been applied
Menu update problem 
Rafal Piotrowski

Hi there,
I have an addin that puts some menus in Word. My problem comes after I uninstall the addin and install a new version of it with some need menuitems.
E.g.

old version
MyTopMenu 
  PippoItem
  BaldoItem

new version
MyTopMenu
  PippoItemWithDifferentName
  NewSubMenu
    BaldoItem
    PippoBaldoItem

The problem is that non of those changes are applied to Word. I still can see the old version of the menu.

I guess that is to the fact of Word storing the layout in profile files. How can force it to use the new setup???

Thanks
rp
Posted 13 Oct, 2005 11:18:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi, Rafal.

Do you install your add-in for all users? And if so then I would suggest to use temporary command bars in your add-in. In this case all command bars will be updated while the add-in starts.
Posted 13 Oct, 2005 15:56:27 Top
Rafal Piotrowski

1) Yes, the addin is installed for All users
2) I set the temporary flag to true for my command bar and for my menu. It is working for the command bar but is not working for the Menu. After installation of new version the toolbar has changed but the Menu staied unchanged!!! Any idea?

regards
rp
Posted 14 Oct, 2005 03:45:27 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi, Rafal.

The point is that Word stores all built-in command bars in the Normal.dot template. If you use your own temporary command bar then it is not stored at all and it's fine. But if you add your controls to the built-in Menu then it doesn't matter if your command bar is temporary or not. Anyway Word stores them in the template. In case of using the add-in for all users there is no universal solution for this problem. E.g. you could check your old controls in the new version of your add-in when a host application starts. And if the controls are there then delete them.
Posted 14 Oct, 2005 07:04:09 Top