Outlook error, could not complete the operation one or more param...

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook error, could not complete the operation one or more param...
Could not complete the operation one or more parameters are not valid 
Michael McMahon

Hi there,

I've written an addin for Office 2003 (Outlook, Word and Excel) using the .NET Add-In-Express component. Overall the addin works quite well and quite consistently, however some users including myself have found that occassionally Outlook displays one or more dialogs saying "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid". At times these messages are followed by a single dialog saying something to the effect of "The Note will now be closed, changes will not be saved".

This occurs when the addin isn't actually being interacted with but at odd times such as when Outlook is shutting down or starting up (on a laptop when it's coming out of hibernation), or when the Windows path variable is changed.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this. I've done a search on the web and it seems that this error happens a bit in Outlook but I really think it is related to this addin I've written as the dialogs don't show up after I've uninstalled the addin.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Posted 11 Oct, 2005 01:56:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi, Michael.

Do you have any code in the WindowActivate or NewInspector event handlers?
Posted 11 Oct, 2005 08:46:27 Top
Michael McMahon

Hi Sergey,

Yes, there is a few lines of code in the NewInspector event handler. Here is the code:

'***********************************************************************************
'* Name: objOlkInsps_NewInspector
'* Purpose: Handles the new inspector event, adds the new inspector to
'* a global inspector collection dec;ared in basOlkInsp
'* Inputs: The new inspector object
'* Notes:
'***********************************************************************************
Private Sub objOlkInsps_NewInspector(ByVal Inspector As Outlook.Inspector) Handles objOlkInsps.NewInspector

On Error Resume Next
   objInsp = Inspector
   AddInsp(Inspector)
End Sub

Are you thinking this is where the problem lies?
Posted 11 Oct, 2005 20:50:08 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi, Michael.

I think yes. We used to get this issue in ADX but we have already fixed it. I can't say more because I don't see the code of the AddInsp method.
You can send me the code if you wish. I will try to help.
Posted 12 Oct, 2005 06:33:24 Top