why "the system administrator has set policies to prevent..."?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

why "the system administrator has set policies to prevent..."?

Stanislav Ostachevski

I am compiling a setup package to execute under standard user privelegdes. setup has been prepared by ADX with "standard user" checkbox selected. When I execute the setup under standard user in a terminal server environment (RDP to Win2003/2008), I am always getting error 'the administrator has set policies to prevent this installation'. Also, my client reports he's getting same error when trying to install on a virtual machine. I tried ADX for .NET 2007 and 2009. The add-in is very basic, I just create new project in VS from scratch and compile it.

Any idea?
Posted 14 Aug, 2009 07:48:17 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Stanislav,

Today I will try to reproduce the issue you pointed and let you know the results.
Posted 14 Aug, 2009 09:01:48 Top
Stan Chevski

I was able to trace it.
The cause of the problem is that by default only managed applications are allowed to be installed on W2003/8. If the adxloader is unmanaged application, it's prohibited.

One needs to set "DisableMSI" flag to 0 in the installer's machine policies.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369784%28VS.85%29.aspx

If this policy value is set to "Null", "absent", or any number other than "1" or "2", the effect on the Windows Installer depends on the operating system. On Windows Server 2003, or when using Windows Installer 3.0 with Windows 2000 Server, Windows Installer is enabled for managed applications and disabled for unmanaged application installs. On Windows XP the Windows Installer is enabled for all applications.
Posted 18 Aug, 2009 11:57:18 Top
Stan Chevski

so, the question is: whether adx loader is unmanaged application and if it's so, please add it to wishlist to create a managed adxloader which would be useful for newer OS and TS deployment :)
Posted 18 Aug, 2009 12:06:42 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Stanislav,

The adxloader.dll is an unmanaged DLL.

Please note that Microsoft Office is a set of non-managed applications. So, why do we have the adxloader.dll managed one? There is a lot of pros and cons.

Posted 18 Aug, 2009 12:43:35 Top
Stan Chevski

Hello Eugene,

Thank you for the explanation, it totally explain everything.

Well the idea is that when a terminal server is set up, they need to install MS Office only once for all users, but then users who connect there need to install the add-in in completely separate business process.

The obvious workaround which I did not spot at once is to create a non-isolated add-in for delivery on such platforms. I guess this will work perfectly for this purpose and thus there's no need to create a *managed shim*. My bad.

You might add this information to shim comparison table though :) By default, plugins based on adxloader can't be installed on the servers, unless current user has administrative permissions, because users lack permission to install MSIs for unmanaged applications with default policy. Would save some time for someone.

Thank you for your time.

Posted 18 Aug, 2009 18:49:41 Top
Eugene Astafiev

You are welcome, Stan.
Posted 19 Aug, 2009 07:38:09 Top