Weird problem with Outlook plug-in

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Weird problem with Outlook plug-in

Kevin Moore

Hi,

I have developed a plug-in for Outlook and I have a user that is relating a problem that the is having and I am unable to recreate it. I am hoping that you might be able to provide some way to debug this.

Basically the problem is that when my plug-in is activated, none of his emails are actually sent. From what I understand, he composes a new email, presses send, the email appears to send and is in his Sent Items folder but the email didn't actually go through.

I am really quite stumped as to how I can diagnose this because I can't reproduce it. Do you have any ideas?

Kevin
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 12:59:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Kevin,

Please make sure that this problem is caused by your add-in. The issue occurs if you change a property of an e-mail in Sent Items. On my home PC, when I open Sent Items, Kaspersky does this for the first e-mail in the list.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 14:35:45 Top
Kevin Moore

Andrei,

I'm pretty sure this is caused by my add-in. My user had disable all others and identified my add-in as the source of this problem.

Can you expand on your description and explanation? What do you mean that this issue occurs if you change a property on an email in Sent Items? An who/what is Kaspersky?

Kevin
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 14:42:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Kevin,

Please check what you do with selected e-mails in ExplorerSelectionChange, ExplorerActivate, ExplorerFolderSwitch, ExplorerBeforeFolderSwitch, ExplorerViewSwitch, ExplorerBeforeViewSwitch. Try commenting that code and test the add-in on the customer's PC. Maybe you just don't release the e-mails or its attachments, user properties (this also applies to their collections: Attachments, UserProperties), etc.

Kaspersky is an antivirus software. It provides two Outlook add-ins and one of them is responsible for the issue on my home PC.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 15:05:44 Top
Kevin Moore

Andrei,

Here is the only code that I have in any of the events you mentioned:

Private Sub adxOutlookEvents_ExplorerSelectionChange(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal explorer As Object) Handles adxOutlookEvents.ExplorerSelectionChange

If Not itEvents Is Nothing Then itEvents.RemoveConnection()

Dim active As Outlook.Explorer
active = OutlookApp.ActiveExplorer
Dim selection As Outlook.Selection = Nothing

Try

selection = active.Selection

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

If Not selection Is Nothing Then

If selection.Count > 0 Then
itEvents = New OutlookItemEventsClass1(Me)
Dim item As Object
item = selection.Item(1)
itEvents.ConnectTo(item, True)
End If
Marshal.ReleaseComObject(selection)
End If

Marshal.ReleaseComObject(active)

End Sub

It appears that the email is being set as having an offline status and that is why it isn't being sent. I asked my user to disable his anti-virus and try it again to see what happens.
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 19:26:46 Top
Kevin Moore

Andrei,

I was able to duplicate something similar, I received an email from a customer that was formatted from Exchange and when I respond to them the email sits in my Outbox folder. If I comment out the code in the ExplorerSelectionChange event the email goes through.

Do you have any idea what is happening?

Kevin
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 20:34:48 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Kevin,

Nope. Could you send a complete sample add-in which can reproduce the issue to the support e-mail address (see readme.txt)?
Posted 03 Aug, 2009 07:54:30 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for the detailed description.

You run into the good old Outlook issue. The point is that after accessing an email message in the Outbox folder programmatically, a "ready-to-sent" flag is cleared and email will not be sent. I would suggest checking the Explorer.CurrentFolder property and if it is the Outbox folder, do not connect to selected items.

Posted 03 Aug, 2009 08:04:05 Top